We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Hope you and your kitty(ies?) are well.

Well I head to SD on Sunday morning and will go straight to the zoo, then get settled into the Balboa Park Inn for three nights. I am packing myrollerblades---and my sunscreen---and a jacket as I see the weather may be on the cool side next week.

JUST in case I manage to snag a rental car instead of my old girl (a 12 year old Saturn) having to make the drive, I was thinking about Julian. Since I have to be in El Cajon on Monday anyway, maybe I'd head up there for the afternoon? How far away is Julian from the SD area? I've never been, always wanted to see it.

Was wondering also if you (or anyone else on the forum) has eaten at the Brazilian steak house down in the gaslamp? I want to try it as the ones in L.A. are double the price.

Last but not least (sorry I ask all these silly questions!), when I get into San Diego, what is the best route to get to the area where I am staying? I presume "To Zoo" will be on a fwy sign, the Inn said just to park on the street in the area and I could walk from there, which is my plan. Lions 'n' tigers 'n' bears, oh my! :)

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Hey Kittygal - So you're finally coming, that's great! Sounds like you're ready for a fantastic time - you'll enjoy rollerblading at Balboa Park - lots of areas where you don't have to worry much about cars, and you can see the neighborhood quickly. If you get a chance, explore the area right around the Balboa Park Inn, it's quite nice.

What do you do with your cats, do you leave them with food and water - or are you an over-protective person like me, who has a cat sitter check in twice a day? I haven't tried the Brazilian steak house in the Gaslamp yet - you might post a separate question on that, I'm sure someone has.

Julian is beautiful! It's not that far - about 45 miles - you could take the 67 out of El Cajon and pickup the 78 at Ramona and you're there. I don't know what the traffic will be like when you go though, I've only gone on weekends, not during the week. It's quite relaxing and interesting to explore, kind of like a trip back to a kinder, simpler time.

Lots of ways to get to where you're going, I'm trying to think of the easiest for you, being unfamilar with the side roads. The zoo signs take you a longer route, so I'll give you this route, which should be quicker and easier. I-5 to the Washington Street exit (this will be just a couple exits south of the I-8 interchange) Take a left at Washington Street and head east up the hill -stay on Washington through Mission Hills and Hillcrest (probably 3 miles) until you come to Lincoln - take a right on Lincoln - then three blocks on Lincoln and take another right on Park Blvd. Stay on Park for a couple miles and Park will widen and start to curve, and you will start seeing some really neat large homes and apartments - a couple more blocks and Balboa Park Inn will be on your right. Here's a map

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3405+Park+Blvd+San+Diego,+CA&ll=32.749456,-117.144556&spn=0.013270,0.040770&hl=en

Across the street from the hotel is a school, just past that (South) is Balboa Park and the zoo, hop, skip and jump from the Inn. Have a fantastic time! Hey, if you want company at the zoo and a free entrance, let me know, I'm meeting a friend at the Hillcrest Farmers Market on Sunday morning and will be in the 'hood - just let me know.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

My kittys are looked in on by my neighbor---who spoils them somtheing rotten too :)

I will be leaving LA about 8 am and should be to the Inn area about 10. Leave your details there for me---I will call you on my cell when I arrive. Company for the zoo would be great fun! Before the grind of work (ugh) sets in that night....

Thanks for the info.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Neighbors are nice! I will be at the Farmers Market until about 11:30, as I'm having brunch with a friend after a bit of shopping - lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and what I'm going for - plants - if you want to e-mail me at chissis@hotmail.com - I'll give you my cell phone number, and we can arrange to meet if that still works for you. Have a safe drive down!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Hey Chissis, sorry I missed you. The zoo was great (glad I packed my new North Face hikers!), the Balboa Park Inn is delightful.

I spent a few hours at Point Loma hiking yesterday afternoon---wonderful serenity, wonderful views---and ended up at Humphrey's on Shelter Island---the 60's Tiki Retro Heaven of any Hawaii Five O fan's dreams! The happy hour was amazing, we STUFFED ourselves for $4, and had a $3 beer---the cheapest per diem dinner besides Mickey D's or similar I have ever had in a large city. That place is a trip, so is the Bali Hai, where we went for a look as well. I can only imagine what it is like in the summer...

I got my kitty fix at Harbor Village, at Whiskers---two beautiful black and white kittys, but I will be glad to head home tomorrow night :) I miss my kitty kids.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Hey, Kittygal, Glad you're having a good time, getting out and about, and really glad that you like Balboa Park Inn. You were smart to pack your "winter" clothes so you could get out and about in this weather. I had a bad inner-ear infection last weekend, so didn't leave home, so glad we hadn't made plans. Have a great rest-of-your-stay, and let us know what else you ended up doing. I know it's always nice to get home to our animals, as much as we love to travel. Have a safe trip home!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

PS - Did you buy some catnip toys for your cats at Whiskers? My cats just love it when I go to Seaport Village and bring those home!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

Yesterday was a trip down 101 from Oceanside to La jolla. Gorgeous, but sad there is so much development along that route :( Went to the Lodge at Torrey Pines and looked around, and learned about what the pines are. Saw the Museum of Contemporary Art at La Jolla---free after 4:30! I made it just in time. Then headed intot he city the back way, had dinnner at the Fish Market, re visited the kittys in Seaport Village and got my Christmas ornament, and then took a walk along the harbor to the Star of India and back. The harbor is great! LA has harbors but not like this...and so much military presence everywhere, I felt very safe.

The Inn is superb, so is the coffee house nearby. I will do reviews next week!

Today Coronado by ferry, then tongith I go home :( but see my kittys :)

Then to Shasta! I am tired! :)

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

I'm so glad you're getting out and about and walking around. That's my favorite thing to do when I travel, it seems that you can see so much more if you can walk and see it close-up. Sounds like you're getting to see a bit of everthing, which is fantastic. I know you'll be glad to be home to your kitties - but so happy that you're enjoying Balboa Park Inn. It has expanded recently by the way, when I lived closer and would have visitors stay there, they only had one building, now I think it's three. Have a safe trip to Shasta & don't work too hard!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

I'm back safely! Her Majesty, Princes Katya, is on my knee purring, and the others are nearby.

Yesterday, after an event at San Diego City College, I went down to the harbor again and took the Coronado Island Ferry. Sat at the very front, a la Titanic...beautiful views coming and going. I walked to the Del Coronado (the island is very pretty---but I bet, like in Point Loma, the house prices are astronomical!). Took some great pictures, walked some MORE on the beach, talked to the concierge about the new construction (they are expanding), then caught the bus back to the ferry landing. I was amused to see how the buildings all over the island mimic the Del's architecture and color scheme! Then drove home, got back at 10 (no traffic at all) and had lots of quality kitty and mom time!

But back on the road again tomorrow---thankfully, the college recruiting season ends soon! :)

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yoo hoo, Chissis!

There's nothing quite as rewarding after a trip as the purring of our wonderful pets, that's for sure. I am really impressed with all you got to see and do - and I love that you walked, which really allowed you to see it all. Yes, Coronado's home prices are right up there - I don't think there's anything there (even SMALL cottages) for under $1 million. But, if I win the lottery...... Glad you're home safe and sound and that your kitties are well - that's important. Safe traveling!