We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

Medina, WA
Level Contributor
400 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

We have reservations at the Glorietta Bay Inn in Coronado but then I stubbled across the Paradise Point which looks like a fun place for family with a lot of things to do like boat rentals, kids club, five pools, etc., although it does have some mixed reviews. I've heard Coronado is a more beautiful area but not sure if the area will offer similar amenities like Paradise Point. If it matters, I have two children ages 5 and 13. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

What time of the year are you planning on going to SD? Although I have not stayed at Glorietta Bay, it gets good reviews on TA. I don't know how family friendly it is but it would be my first choice over Paradise Point.

It's true that Paradise Point is geared towards families and that there are 5 pools. However, 2 of the pools looked uninviting. My kids did have lots of fun in the main pool though.

Coronado is beautiful and you can't beat the location of the hotel. You are close to the bay, the beach, and across from the Hotel Del. You can rent bikes and explore all over Coronado. San Diego is just over the bridge too.

In my opinion, overall what Coronado has to offer hands-down will beat the amenities of Paradise Point. Enjoy your trip!

Medina, WA
Level Contributor
400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

We are going in April for spring break. I think you pretty much wrote in your reply what I thought from the start. Coronado is probably my best choice (more beautiful). The more research I do, the more negative things I am reading about Paradise Point and it's not exactly a cheap place to stay either. It's no more than the Hotel Del's (standard room) which is one of the places we are considering in addition to the Glorietta Bay Inn across the street. Thanks for your post. It was very helpful!

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

Glad I could confirm your fears!!! You're right about Paradise Point-it ain't cheap. I think that you'll be happy with your choice. I've driven by the Glorietta Bay many times and it looks nice. Have fun planning!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise Point SD or Glorietta Bay Coronado

I so much enjoyed my stay at the Glorietta Bay Inn, that I have to put in a plug for it. As you mentioned, Coronado is a beautiful place, away from the bustle of the city. However, there is a lot to do there: beach, boating, biking, and sightseeing. Also, it's not so far from downtown San Diego and other attractions that you feel isolated. You're only 10 minutes from downtown San Diego and taking the ferry would be a fun activity for the family. The Glorietta Bay Inn puts you almost in the middle of the activity in Coronado. You're right across the street from the Hotel Del and the beach. You're also right across the street from the bay, where you can rent boats. Within a block or so you can rent bikes. Also, there are plenty of shops and restaurants.

The Glorietta Bay Inn itself has more of an adult atmosphere. Other than the small heated pool and the in-room video games, there are no activities offered for children. However, if you are used to doing things as a family, the Glorietta Bay Inn provides a wonderful place to retreat from the activities in the surrounding areas. The rooms are are beautiful and the beds comfortable. Each room has a small refrigerator, which comes in handy for a family. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating. The hotel offiers a free continental breakfast that is both delicious and filling. In the Mansion, the main section of the hotel, there are cookies and juice offered every evening. I don't know too many kids who wouldn't enjoy that!

My wife and I stayed at the Glorietta Bay Inn for our anniversary and just think the Glorietta Bay Inn is a wonderful place.