We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip from la to san diego

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
trip from la to san diego

hello i am flying into ontario airport to pick up saab in orange i have never been to a beach except from newport to doheny.

i would love to see some coast is there a route that would be best to san diego i would love to stay at the del coronado but the best price i can get is 221 . is it worth it is there another hotel on the beach that you might like better.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip from la to san diego

Travel down the Pacific Coast Highway, or Hwy 1, and you'll see spectacular ocean views. La Jolla and Oceanside, just to name a few.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip from la to san diego

As previously mentioned, take the Pacific Coast Highway/Coast Highway/Highway 101 (changes names as it changes cities) from Oceanside to San Diego, it is really beautiful. The Hotel del Coronado is a beautiful historic hotel, and has the best beach in the county.

That is a good price for that beach, but if you want to stay on Coronado, a couple others to look at are the Glorietta Bay Inn -close to the Hotel Del, and the Coronado Marriott - which is actually across the island from the Hotel del (about a mile), but has really nice views looking back towards San Diego.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip from la to san diego

wow this is my first time on this site and i am so impressed with the response yall are like having a friend to ask questions about it has been my dream to travel on the coast and now i have my chance. would you say there is a pretty place to stop on the way south. also if we choose coronado is the traffic difficult to get there from the north. thanks again . if you are ever in arkansas there are some beautiful places here would love to pay back the advice thanks

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip from la to san diego

add to last post please. sorry new at this . by stop, i meant stay the night as i have stated i would love to stay at a hotel on the beach. thanks agaian

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip from la to san diego

add to last post please. sorry new at this . by stop, i meant stay the night as i have stated i would love to stay at a hotel on the beach. thanks agaian

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip from la to san diego

Saaber, do you mean you're looking for a place near the beach between Ontario Airport and San Diego? If that's what you meant, I would head west and catch the 55 to Newport Beach and then catch Highway 1 down the coast through Laguna Beach. I would look for hotels in Laguna Beach or Dana Point - beautiful oceanfront cities. Laguna Beach is particularly pretty and interesting to explore. You might post on the Orange County, Laguna Beach, or Dana Point TripAdvisor sites for more detailed driving instructions, or hotel recommendations in those areas. If you are planning to stop along the way for a night, that would be a great area.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip from la to san diego

Yes a beach hotel between newport and san diego .

I would like it to be on beach. Heard good things about del coronado but it would reallly break my budget.

We stay in Santa Ana at a great hotel With a strange name. Woolley's Petite Suites.

i just cant believe that you all are nice egnough to reply to a complete stranger.

thanks again.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip from la to san diego

okay all of you who replied to my questions we are staying at the gloretta and proud of it. Great responses hope you have great day. one more question if i may can you travel pch 1 all the way from newport to the south i know i must get to 5 a little south of la jolla but the map is unclear about the rest of the drive . i of course want to see as much of the ocean scenery on the way down as i can . will be leaving newport around 9 on saturday morning . thanks

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip from la to san diego

Great choice - Glorietta Bay Inn!!

You will have to get off of Hwy 1 at around San Clemente and go to Interstate 5, as there is no coastal highway through Camp Pendleton (military). Then you will get back on PCH (Highway 101) at Oceanside and you can take that all the way down through Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla and Pacific Beach.

For your ease, because it's not easy to navigate around Mission Bay, I would get back on I-5 at Pacific Beach via Grand or Garnet and take I-5 through downtown San Diego. After you travel past downtown San Diego, you will see an exit for Hwy 75 - Coronado Bay Bridge. You want to take that bridge to Coronado, when you get to Coronado, you will want to take a left on Orange Avenue (the main road on Coronado), and it will take you past the Hotel del Coronado. Watch your left for Glorietta Blvd. (no light) - your hotel is at the corner of Orange Ave. & Glorietta Blvd.

The traffic should be reasonable at that time, have a great trip!