We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Shopping

mba
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Shopping

Can the San Diego expert advise me on great places to shop that have great prices too? Maybe a purse knockoff store or some GREAT little gift shop? We'll be staying at the Westgate with no car. (I could take a taxi I suppose...) Any suggestions?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Shopping

Westgate - great location. I love shopping at Seaport Village and Horton Plaza right downtown, but prices aren't that great; same with the many fun little shops in Gaslamp - but once in a while you can find a bargain. There are lots of other shopping options - I'll give you some of my favorites:

You can take the trolley (train) to Mission Valley and checkout Fashion Valley Center gothere.com/sandiego/FashionValley/tour.htm

- trolley stops right at the mall - not the best prices, but lots of great stuff and sometimes they have great sales.

A couple stops further on the trolley line - checkout Mission Valley Center - with discount shops - Loehman's & Nordstrom Rack.

…signonsandiego.com/profile/92046

the trolley stop for that is across the street from the actual mall.

A really fun place that I love to shop is Cedros Designer District in Solana Beach (about 20 miles N)- you can take the Coaster (commuter train) to Solana Beach from downtown for 9.50 round trip and it's a fun trip right up the coast, plus lots of great stores just a block away from the Solana Beach train station. They have several stores, but one - Leaping Lotus - that consists of lots of fun shops with really original things, and it's a blast to look at all the little boutique areas. http://www.cedrosdesigndistrict.net/

There is a great Outlet mall up in Carlsbad (about 30 mi. N) - further north on the Coaster route up to either of the Carlsbad stations - and get a cab or catch the bus that will take you to the outlets:

North County Transit District (NCTD Bus)

Route #321

Drops off directly in front of Carlsbad Premium Outlets(Paseo Del Norte & Palomar Airport Rd.)

Picks up at both the Poinsettia Station and the Carlsbad Village Station.

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp…

Another really fun place to shop (double cheap!) is the Kobey Swap meet at the Sports Arena near Seaworld - lots of knockoffs - you could catch a cab - it's about 5 miles from downtown.

Takes place - Friday/Saturday/Sunday only

http://www.kobeyswap.com/

Have a GREAT shopping time!

mba
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Shopping

Thanks for all the information. You are my kind of shopper. Thanks again.

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Shopping

There is a new outlet mall at the San Diego/Mexican border - read about it at:

www.outletbound.com/cgi-bin/enh_center.cgi…

You can take the trolley to the border, and appears to be about a mile from the trolley stop to the mall - an easy (and cheap) ride.