We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imperial Beach?

Kansas
5 posts
Save Topic
Imperial Beach?

Hi! Going to be in San Diego next week and wanted to go to the beach. Was there last month and went to La Jolla, and had a great time, but wanted to visit a beach that is a little less crowded. Is Imperial a good choice?? I heard it's not quite as crowded.. also read to walk to the beach at border state park would be good option. Any other suggestions or tips?

What's the temp of the water, is it getting cold?

Thanks in advance!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Imperial Beach?

Imperial Beach wouldn't be my choice. None of our beaches are too crowded right around now - I would look at Coronado (usually the least crowded and the best beach), Pacific Beach, and Del Mar if you don't want to go back to La Jolla.

The water temps are included in this site:

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Imperial Beach?

flashfocus,

I wish I could say IB ws a lovely place to see but I can't. there are so many beaches that so much more beautiful.

Here something my wife and I do every sunday,

Torry Pines Beach. you can do a hike (if you like this kinda stuff) or walk the beach. if you decide to do the hike it's beautiful, you will be able to see the beach from above, perfect while drinking a cup of Joe in the morning. use map quest to get directions there. and not to many people.

Water is getting cold right now.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Imperial Beach?

Imperial Beach, while not very crowded, is not one that I would go to. Try coronado, Del Mar, or any of the North County beaches.

Water temperature is very cold right now. Around 58-62 degrees.

Kansas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Imperial Beach?

Thanks for the advice guys... well, I'm thinking coronado beach or silver strand...?

Too cold to swim?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Imperial Beach?

It's a bit cool to go swimming in, im afraid. However, I was surfing the other day and saw many people swimming in their trunks. It was a hot day, so when it's hot, the cool water actually is quite refreshing.

Chatham, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Imperial Beach?

I lived in IB and definitely would not recommend it for tourists. It's okay for surfing, but it has a distinctive smell down there that I know some people do not like, and the water is sometimes polluted and signs are up to stay away. The only plus is that if you walk out to the end of the pier, there's a restaurant there called the Tin Fish that I like. NOTHING FANCY...just good fish. As several other people have said, Coronado is a great beach, and I don't find it crowded. It's large enough that you can sit pretty much anywhere and not be close to anyone else. The sand is amazing there too, as well as the views of the Hotel Del Coronado and Pt. Loma. If I'm correct, alcohol isn't allowed...so there are never parties going on and the beach is always really clean. Pacific Beach is cool if you're there for a party. Silver Strand is okay, but not great. It's so worth it to go to Coronado, the whole island is so beautiful that its worth it just driving through there.

Kansas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Imperial Beach?

Thanks again for the help -

Is the San Diego Bridge into Coronado a toll road? If so, what's the fee?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Imperial Beach?

Used to be 10 cents - but now it's free.