We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Terrace Hotel San Diego

6 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Terrace Hotel San Diego

O.K., is the Pacific Terrace as great as the reviews suggest??? I booked a garden view and am very nervous. I usually like the fairly new, modern kind of hotel. Did I make the right decision????

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Terrace Hotel San Diego

Everyone's different, but it's definitely one of the better beach front hotels. If you like "fairly new & modern", you will certainly like the Pacific Terrace.

Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Terrace Hotel San Diego

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace about a month ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. I recommend it highly but you should be aware of a few things. When we were there July 4th week we paid over $350 per night for a room. And this was with the Triple A rate! What you're paying for is location, location, location. We loved the incredible view from our terrace, loved falling asleep to the sound of the waves, and loved being so close to the "action" in Pacific Beach. It was great to be able to walk out to shops and restaurants. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. There are a couple of nice touches - they serve free wine and cookies every afternoon from 4-6pm. And breakfast is provided. It's nothing special - packs of oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, some mediocre pastries - but it's convenient.

The negatives are that the hotel itself is a little shabby, with furnishings that look like a 1970's motel. Carpets in the hallway are a bit funky. The elevator was often out of service. The rooms are spacious and the toiletries and robes are nice, but don't be surprised to find that the rooms are a little down-at-heel. The pool is nice but small. In short, for those prices, one might expect a more luxurious experience but it's really just a glorified motel - but it does have that glorious location. If you've booked a garden view room, I assume that's on the ground floor, which would mean that you wouldn't have a view of the ocean. I strongly suggest that you get something on a higher floor with a view; otherwise, I don't think it's worth the bucks to stay there. On the other hand, there didn't seem to be much else right on the beach in that area, and what was there looked very, very funky.