We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

Mililani, HI
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

We (4 adults and my 15 month old) will be staying in Anaheim in mid Sept to go to Disneyland but I really wanted to take my daughter to Sea World. I have read posts about taking a train down to Sea World to reduce the stress of driving (plus it seems that it would be faster?). Originally we were going to rent a car the whole time we were there but now I am thinking that it won't be necessary since the days we go to Disneyland we will be walking. If we catch the train then we won't need to rent the car to go to San Diego either. What train are we talking about? (So I can look for some info online about it) and how far is it from the station to Sea World. Also, how far is it from Sea World to In n out burger (I am in LOVE with In n Out and must have at least one while I am there). Since we'll have a young child, is it better to just rent the car for the flexibility?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

Hi. For what you want to do you would be better off renting a car. The train would take you to downtown but they you'd have to take a taxi to Sea World and back then another for In n" Out. Car would be better. It's an easy drive from Anaheim to Sea World - just take the 5 down and look for Sea World Drive. Take that exit and follow the road around to the right. There is a huge Sky tower sitting in the middle of Sea World- you can't miss it.

Closest In 'N Out Burger to Sea World is at 3102 Sports Arena Boulevard. It's about 15 min south of Sea World.

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

I would highly recommend you stick to the original plans and rent a car for the whole week. Even with the added cost of a car seat, you're probably looking at around $150-$200 (Check your car insurance policy before leaving home to see if it covers rentals so you won't need to waste your money). Believe me, you'll need the flexibility with a 15-month old. Plus, you have much more freedom and can explore some of the OC beaches, if so desired.

Yes, the train (Amtrak Pacific Surfliner) is an attractive option in many cases for San Diego, depending on where you want to go. However, if you're only going to Sea World, there is no direct connection between the downtown station and Sea World. You'll need to take a bus and trolley and waste another 30 minutes. The cost for 4 adults is $168 RT, so you've already spent almost as much as a rental.

Driving to San Diego is a breeze and stress-free. Just take I-5 South the whole way. Once you get into South OC, you'll be driving right along the ocean. Just be sure to leave Anaheim after 9:00 AM, or else you'll be stuck in "The Orange Crush." Also, don't leave San Diego until after their rush hour either.

I don't share your affinity for In-N-Out, but check their website for the nearest locations. In Anaheim, it would be at 600 S. Brookhurst (Orange and Brookhurst).

Mililani, HI
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

Thanks bob007 ~ I thought the train would drop us maybe a couple blocks away and we'd only have to catch the taxi to In n Out. Oh well, original plans it is!

Thanks cr4909 ~ Our car rental is priced at 187 right now, it definitely would be better to have the car for the whole week than to just ride the train to San Diego for one day. Thanks for the tip about in n out in anaheim even though you're not a fan. The traffic tips is great too! I was planning to leave the hotel at about 7:30 - 8:00 thinking we would have missed most of the traffic. I guess not. We'll leave at 9. Thanks!

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or Train down to San Diego? Far from Sea World?

But why wait until you go to San Diego for your In-n-Out fix? There is one in Anaheim at 600 North Brookhurst Street, a scant 3 miles from Disneyland. Or find them all over Southern California at:

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations_map.asp

In-n-Out is a real favorite of mine as well. Enjoy!