We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla sea caves

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
La Jolla sea caves

My family of four is visiting SD in August. We were thinking about going to La Jolla sea caves. We are staying in Coronado and are renting a car. Can anyone tell me if this is worth the trip. Sounds like fun, but is it interesting?? If so, should we take the guided tour of the caves or just explore on our own. Also we thought maybe surfing lessons might be a blast for our two sons (14 & 16) Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pacific Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Diego Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Gear Rentals, Sports Camps & Clinics
Mission Bay Aquatic Center
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Surf Diva Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
6,099 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla sea caves

Start the morning with breakfast at

Brockton Villa

(note: its so good that reservations are a good idea...

even for breakfast)

Then enjoy La Jolla Sea Caves

I would recommend highly that if your family likes kayaking to visit them by renting a kayak or taking a tour on a kayak.

This place also offers surfing lessons.

It would definitely be a fun day....After enjoying the ocean, perhaps visit some of the stores in La Jolla (trendy and artsy but expensive) and perhaps get something to eat....

You might also like to go by Birch Aquarium - close by

Its on the University of California San Diego Campus very close by to La Jolla.

Also going to Torrey Pines State Beach is also wonderful...

This is close to La Jolla also.

Sunnyvale, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla sea caves

Hi, Mini,

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to use some of these spots for my vacation in late July.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla sea caves

I highly recommend renting kayaks at La Jolla Shores and taking them out near the cove. You should be able to see fish, seals, a fabulous view of the coast, and right where you launch the kayak look out for the harmless Leopard sharks which swim close to the bottom.

Ask advice about going in the caves because the waves can often push you in towards the rocks.

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question