We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

Sunnyvale, CA
8 posts
Save Topic
Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

Hi, all,

My family [me, wife, 4 yr-old daughter, 7 yr-old son] moved to CA about 2 years ago from Florida. We're missing the beaches very much and I've decided we're going to take a trip to San Diego since supposedly they have real beaches down there. :P

However, as I look through the potential hotels for Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area they either have bad reviews or are over-priced. For us, over-priced is over $200/night (I know, I'm cheap). :(

I'd love to have a hotel on the beach, but that doesn't seem feasable given our price range. So, can anyone suggestion some good hotels in the general vicinity? Also, am I aiming towards the right area for good beaches? Any better suggestions?

Finally, some suggestions on where to get the lowest prices would help a lot. I checkout expedia and orbitz but I also see ppl mention in their reviews that they found prices way lower than what these services have to offer.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,

--Nick

Sunnyvale, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

Also, my apologies for the empty post titled "1". I accidently created that post when I registered this account.

California
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

Hi- I have lived her for 15 years, and although some people may disagree...I think with younger children that the best beach is Coronado. Not the silver strand, but north near the hotel. especially if you are looking for a wide sandy beach where kids can build san castles etc. ALSO very clean beach. Coronado is a short drive across the bridge from downtown. of course the most famous hotel here is the HOTEL DEL CORONADO. Which is pricey. BUT there are also other hotels in Coronado that you might want to search for...put Coronado CA in the search rather than San Diego.

California
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

coronado is actually in san diego so search in san diego but choose "near coronado beach" for landmark

Sunnyvale, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

Thanks for the response travelanywhere. I think we may target Coronado Beach. :)

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

If you are still looking at the Pacific Beach area (better than Mission Beach for young families, in my opinion), we stayed at the Ocean Park Inn, and if memory serves, it was in budget. See www.oceanparkinn.com. It was right on the beach and boardwalk near Crystal Pier. A huge spanse of beach, nice pool, nice rooms, great view. Also near some great restaurants...the Green Flash serves b'fast/lunch/dinner, has a great outdoor dining area and some of the best ocean sunset views ever. ( www.greenflashrestaurant.com) Gringos Cantina was great for Mexican food. The boardwalk (at the right time of day) is fun for walks with the kids, shopping and exploring the coastline. The ideas you've been given about Coronado are great, too. It's a very nice area of San Diego. The beaches are much rockier there (compared to the surf rolling in at PB), from what I remember, but that makes for fun for the kids to explore the little tide pools. Have fun!

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some help finding accomodations in San Diego.

...meant also to include a couple of websites to check out...

http://www.san-diego-hotel-discount.com/

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com

www.hometownfreepress.com/SanDiego/Calendar/