We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

hi. i'm on my wife's name here and looking for some information.

i'm traveling late july/early august to san diego with my 14 year old daughter. i'm really not familiar with the area at all.

-what is there to do for my daughter? she loves the beach, but there are so many. she's also a little daredevil (she just went hang gliding...oh boy) so i don't know if there's any way to accomodate her need for thrills. any suggestions? all i know is that legoland is out of the question.

-where do i stay? what hotel do i stay in? i need something affordable too, so maybe someone has a recommendation.

-are there any bus tours of part of mexico that depart from san diego? i'm semi interested in seeing some of mexico. just not tijuana.

thanks!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

There's lots to do for a 14 year old, but you'd better book your hotel quickly, it's the height of tourist season and the good ones go fast, and the not so good ones are even expensive. Sounds like you would probably enjoy the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach area for the beach

…sandiego.org/246/…1081664788-21820-see

Also, you might look at La Jolla hotels, but make sure the hotels area actually in the village of La Jolla or La Jolla Shores, or you might be miles from the beach, as some hotels have "La Jolla" in their address because of the zip code, but they're not near the beach. Post back here with questions to verify here are a couple that are right on the beach:

www.ljbtc.com/Default.aspx…

There's hang gliding at Torrey Pines. Snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, Surfing lessons, kayaking - lots to do.....

flytorrey.com/web/main/RulesBradhall-rule.asp

http://www.lajollakayak.com/

hikebikekayak.com/Snorkel_Kayak_SanDiego.html

http://www.seaforyourself.com/lajolla.htm

www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/lajollacoveday.htm

www.lajollasurfshop.com/surf_lessons.htm

Vegas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

Don't forget Seaport Village, Seaworld, The Zoo. The baseball stadium is really nice if you wanted to see a game.

I'm not sure about tours to Mexico, but avoid Tijuana. I've been there 3 or 4 times, but noway would I take my daughter there.

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

hi thanks!

in la jolla i'm looking at:

- the radisson

- hotel la jolla

do you have any opinions on these? i'm not sure where they're located, i really just based it on price.

i'm having trouble finding something decent/reasonably priced centrally located in san diego. any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

oh, one more quick thing.

do you know anything about the Holiday Inn Express San Diego- Sorrento Valley? it's at 5925 lusk blvd. and looks nice to me!

Vegas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

the Holiday Express on Lusk Blvd seems really far north.

Hotel La Jolla seems pretty nice for the price.

La Jolla is only 15 minutes from Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area where there is alot to do.

I've never had a problem finding a place to stay downtown, check Hotwire.com it will let you choose hotels by the amount you want, to spend a night, the quality of hotel(how many stars) and let you choose the part of town. It won't give you the name of the acuall hotel until you pay for it, but my wife and I have stayed in some nice places at half cost.

Travelocity.com has been pretty good to us in the past also price wise.

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

thank you! i will rule out the one on lusk in hopes that i will find something better.

this is such an overwhelming search. there are a lot of great places, but just so expensive!

i checked out holiday inn's website and found some more possibilities. they have some reasonable rates. these are my top ones.

- the holiday inn- mission bay/sea word at 3737 sports arena blvd. is $151 a night.

- the holidayinn san diego - zoo area at 595 hotel circle south for $143.

- holiday inn san diego mission valley at 3805 murphy canyon rd for $149.

then there's the holiday inn express's.

- old town at 3900 old town ave. $139 a night.

- la jolla at 6705 la jolla blvd. for $160.

so it's basically between all those up there AND

- la jolla radisson for $179

the hotel la jolla is apparently no longer available which is quite a bummer.

any advice on what i should go with? i may still look for something better if it's out there!

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san diego w/ 14 yr old girl

hmm what about this rancho bernardo inn at 17550 bernardo oaks drive?

it seems to be really in to golf which neither me or my daughter are in to. is it close to anything? it looks like a nice place and i can get it for about $175 a night which is ok since i just need to be below $200.