We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Limbo--Help!

PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Limbo--Help!

Help. Traveling to San Diego for the first time in August. We plan to stay 3 nights at the Glorietta Bay Inn, but can't decide where to stay for an additional 4 nights. Wanted the Omni, but it's booked. Considering the Westin, Westgate, or Bristol. Any suggestions? Also, considering the Empress in La Jolla. Is La Jolla too far from the zoo, Seaworld, Gaslamp, etc.? Would it be better to stay downtown? AAGH! Tons of travel guides and Frommer's, but still not sure what's best. Please advise. Also, we are spending our first night in LA--any suggestions? We are thinking the Sheraton Universal. Next, we are staying at the Blue Lantern Inn at Dana Point. Is a Catalina trip worth it? My husband and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. We have two major conerns: safety and cleanliness, and we are looking at $180-200 a night.

Thanks so much.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
5,626 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Limbo--Help!

First question: Why do you want to move from Glorietta.....

Its close to one of the best beaches, easy to get to San Diego, and wonderful location. In short what hotel features are you looking for as that will help.

La Jolla is further away than San Diego (20-30 minute drive) but lovely beaches, shopping, restaurants in La Jolla also.

If you want Gaslamp, Seaworld, Zoo...stay downtown or extend your stay at Glorieta.

At Universal....Hilton or Sheraton. Several people seem to prefer Hilton; I'm staying at Sheraton in a few weeks so will have a better idea then between the 2. either is good and Citywalk is fun.

Catalina trip is worth it. Its one of the best ways to get out on the water; Catalina is fun; and will make for a fun day. We enjoyed going at 11 and coming back at 7 one day so if you want to do something else in the evening you can. The only bad thing about Catalina is if you get a rough boat ride (NORMALLY not in summer).

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Limbo--Help!

Gaslamp is downtown, across the bay from Glorietta. The zoo is walking distance to downtown, about a 2 mile drive. Seaworld is at Mission Bay, and is also close to La Jolla, so you could stay at the Empress and drive down the coast to Seaworld - it's not as close as downtown, but not that far. Westin would be nice, also checkout the Hilton Gaslamp, that's also a nice property. Embassy Suites downtown is also nice, right by the bay, as is the Marriott Marina and Manchester Hyatt (the last two might be over your budget).

www.sandiego.org or

www.gaslamp.org have more suggestions.

PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Limbo--Help!

Thanks...we don't want to leave Glorietta, but we were unable to book a room there for our remaining 4 nights...unless we wanted to pay over $300, which is out of our range.

The Westin seems nice, but I've read some bad reviews, which makes me a little nervous about booking.

The Empress would be perfect if it had a pool, but we are willing to overlook that if the drive to downtown isn't that bad. I guess that's are main concern---will travel to the main "sights" be too much of a hassle and not worth it???

The Hilton Gaslamp in August is a little over our budget and the Marriott and Grand Hyatt are booked. So, I guess we are looking for a reasonable hotel that is in a great location for sightseeing, etc. Not asking too much, eh? :)

Let me know about the Sheraton Universal....

If it comes down to the Empress and Embassy Downtown, which would be better?

Thanks!

San Diego
Level Contributor
108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Limbo--Help!

I recommend the Empress. La Jolla actually is part of San Diego and only a 20 minute drive to most anything downtown. La Jolla is a beautiful area of the city, right on the coast, and you can easily drive to the zoo and SeaWorld. The Gaslamp is downtown, but it's really just a destination for dinner one night. La Jolla is great for walking around at night, with lots of great restaurants and awesome views.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Limbo--Help!

Personally, if it were me, I would take the Embassy downtown over the Empress. La Jolla is nice, but I like being downtown on the bay better - just a personal preference, probably since I work in La Jolla and go there every day. But I used to work downtown and still go there for clients. Seems to me there's just more to do and see downtown, and La Jolla is somewhat overpriced. Again.... my opinion, nothing against La Jolla. Easier to get places from downtown than La Jolla - because there's basically one road in and out of La Jolla and it does back up.