We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

I'm 30 and I'm planning a "girls weekend" with my sister who is in her 20s. We are hoping to lounge by the pool, go to a spa, try some good restaurants, check out some trendy stores and check out a great beach while we're there. We aren't looking to party.. we're more interested in getting pampered and relaxing! So, where would be the best place to stay? We will be renting a car, so that's not a concern.

I've heard La Jolla fits our description of what we want to do.. but I'd love to get other opinions.

Also, if we do stay in La Jolla, one of the hotels that we're considering is Hilton La Jolla Torrrey Pines. Anyone have opinions about this place or have any other suggestions? The Lodge at Torrey Pines and Estancia are out of our budget, unfortunately!

Thanks so much in advance!

SD
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Hi,

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines is a very good choice for relaxing. It has beautiful ocean view; just a few minutes drive to the beach. It is ~15' drive to the "village" ( La Jolla downtown) which has spas, trendy stores, and restaurants.

Location-wise, Hotel Parsi or Empress in La Jolla downtown would fit well your itinerary. These hotels are smaller and not a resort type like the Hilton, though.

K.

San Diego
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Agreed - La Jolla is an excellent choice. However, the downtown are is great too. The Gaslamp area is nice because there are so many great outdoor restaurants, shops, (mall), spas, etc. in the vicinity. You're also close to the waterfront as well. But, all in all, sounds like La Jolla might be the best fit. Don't forget to go into downtown for dinner and drinks a couple of the nights!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

I had a doctor friend who stayed at the Hilton Torrey Pines for a conference, and he said it was great. I dropped by and took him into La Jolla for dinner, it's usually a quick drive into the village (about 15 minutes) if you want to shop or go to the beach. It's really secluded and has very nice grounds.

The Hotel Parisi is very nice, and is having specials. It is right in the village of La Jolla, but doesn't have a pool. You might want to look at it though, for the spa packages and the great location where you wouldn't have to drive at all. You could walk to the beach and browse the stores in La Jolla.

http://www.hotelparisi.com/packages.html

Another beautiful, but older hotel in La Jolla is the landmark Hotel Valencia http://www.lavalencia.com/

Another thought is the wonderful, relaxing Hotel Del on Coronado Island. Beautiful setting, right on the beach, and Coronado is a wonderful area of shops, both right in the Hotel Del and in the village of Coronado

http://www.hoteldel.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Kaylaca-- Thanks for your opinion of the Hilton La Jolla. That helps a lot...and I also appreciate the other recommendations. Empress Hotel is in our budget, but Hotel Parisi is GORGEOUS!!!!

ErinTay-- Thanks for chiming in! La Jolla is at the top of the list now, but I was wondering which hotels you'd recommend if we were to stay downtown.

Chissis-- All of those hotels you recommended are to die for! La Valencia looks beautiful.. and I love Hotel Parisi! But, they're both a little more than we want to spend.. same with Hotel Del. So aggravating! I'm going to see if I can convince my sister to spend a little more, because they look like wonderful hotels. If we were to choose a hotel without a pool, do you think we'd miss it? We'll be there in August, so it will definitely be warm enough to go to the beach. Do most people go to the beach or do the pool thing? Or is it personal preference?

Thanks again EVERYONE for helping out with such great recommendations.. Keep 'em coming!

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

One more question..

Anyone know anything about Hyatt Regency La Jolla? Better or worse than Hilton La Jolla? (location, property, etc.) Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

The Hyatt Regency is nice. It is in a suburban area next to the freeway, not really in La Jolla, acroos the freeway from La Jolla. Convenient location for getting around to other areas of San Diego, but definitely not as nicely situated as the La Jolla Hilton. The Hyatt is fine, but between the two the Hilton wins hands down.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Regarding the pool - it's a personal preference. If you want to swim, you'll want the pool. If you want to dip your toes and lounge, if you're in La Jolla, you can do that at the beach. You might be able to get a better price on Priceline or Hotels.com.

I know it's a touch decision; there are a couple in the Gaslamp you might want to look at as well - the Prava and the W are a couple that come to mind.

http://www.pravahotel.com/

starwoodhotels.com/whotels/…

I really think you would be happy at the Torrey Pines Hilton if it's considerably less expensive, it has the pool, and it's not a bad drive into La Jolla if you don't try to do it at rush hour.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

Diegodreamer and Chissis-- You are both so helpful on these boards.. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions so far.

After doing a little more research, I am now considering staying downtown. It might be more "happening" for my sister in her 20's. If I was traveling with my husband, we'd definitely stay in La Jolla!

With that in mind, do you know anything about the Omni Hotel or Hotel Solamar? Both are priced at $209 right now, which is right in our budget. (Manchester Grand Hyatt is over $300) We do plan on visiting Sea World, which I think is close by, right? If we do stay downtown, where would we go if we wanted to hit the beach? Coronado?

Thanks again!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

The Omni is very nice and is very new. Right next to the new ballpark if you wanted to take in a baseball game.

Solimar is brand new, just opened, but I don't think it is new from the ground up, I think it is a remodeled older property but I could be wrong about that. It has the newest trendiest bar in San Diego.

Both are good, I don't think you can go wroung with either one.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay? La Jolla, Gas Lamp or Coronado?

The most convenient beach would be Coronado. It is an easy drive over the bridge, or you wan take the pedestrian ferry from downtown to Coronado, rent a couple of bikes at the ferry landing, and ride the one mile to the beach (no hills).