We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Were a fun loving couple staying downtown this summer and would like to have a very nice dinner and go dancing afterwards on a Saturday night. Where can we get a great SD dining experience? We'd like to go dancing afterwards, any suggestions? Also, what time is good for the clubs, are there lines to get in?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

The lines depend on the club, the entertainment, and the day so that's hard to say. Here's a couple helpful sites that will tell you what's out there, and where to go:

http://www.gaslamp.org/entertai.php

http://www.sdro.com/club.htm

As far as restaurants, some of my favorites are Croce's and Blue Point Coastal Cuisine (great martini's by the way) in the gaslamp and Fish Market off of Harbor Drive by Seaport Village - but there area a bunch to choose from:

where2eat.com/downtown_San_Diego_restaurants…

http://www.gaslamp.org/dine.php

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Like Chissis said, Lines depend on the club, but generally, they get really heavy after 11:00pm. The most popular dance clubs downtown are On Broadway, sidebar, Decos and my favorite, Onyx.

If you're in the mood for Tapas and Salsa dancing, check out Cafe Sevilla or Ole Madrid.

Blue Point Grill is excellent. Georges on fifth is a great romantic restaurant in an old building. So many choices.....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Thank you both for your replies, great info.

For dinner, we've narrowed down the choices to: Bertrands, Star of the Sea or Blue Point (love martinis-thanks for the tip Chissis!) What do you think about these three?

I think we'll do Cafe Sevilla on another night. The tapas and salsa dancing sounds great! (thanks naven!)

I was leaning towards Broadway or Onyx for clubs. Is one crowd more mature than the other?

Thanks again!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

I can't answer your question on Clubs, but wanted to verify the restaurant question - if you're talking about Bertrands at Mr A's in Hillcrest - I think that is an exceptional choice. The views are one of the best in the city, and the food is excellent. Not necessarily better than the other two, but equal, and the views are just awesome. It is a bit away from downtown - a couple miles up 5th, but worth it.

I'm not particularly fond of Star of the Sea - don't get me wrong, great food, but a little pricey, and I'm pretty casual, it's a little too "stuffy" for me, but it's a wonderful location and well liked.

Blue Point is excellent (and the martini's!!) - normally that would be my first choice, but if you want to see an unparalleled view while eating, I would choose Bertrands.

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Thanks Chissis, I think were looking for an upscale/fine dining restaurant that is romantic with possibly a great view. People I've talked with that have traveled to SD say to go somewhere with a view. We will be doing casual stuff throughout the week when were there, but wanted Saturday night to be very nice.

With that said, which one would you recommend, Star of the Sea or Bertrands at Mr. A's. I also read about Georges on 5th being nice too. Anyway, I still like Blue Point for the matini's!

Too many to choose!!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Definitely no contest - Bertrands at Mr. A's - the view is truly incomparable, and they will treat you like royalty. You won't be sorry, I promise!!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Yeah, Bertrands is great. The view is amazing. I actually like Star of the Sea, but I have to agree with Chissis, i think it's a tad overrated, and I just dont think sea bass should be $45.

There is also an excellent, upscale, beautiful restaurant across the street from Bertrands, called Laurels. It's very very nice.

As for the clubs, both onyx and On Broadway are pretty fun. On Broadway is VERY popular and a line starts forming around 9pm. It's Huge, with several different rooms, all with different styles of music. Onyx is a little smaller, more relaxed, and I would say overall the crowd tends to be a little less rowdy. The music at Onyx is more house/jazz/hip hop oriented, where as On Broadway has different styles throughout. Onyx is more loungy and sophisticated, but people tend to flock towards On Broadway, because it's more of a "be seen" type of place. I like Onyx a little more, im a little older, so maybe that says something. They have a nice restaurant/lounge on top of Onyx called Thin, which you have full access to with your cover charge. They make mean martini's at thin as well!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Bravesgirl,

I forgot to mention, if you're REALLY lucky, the braves will be in town when you come and you can go see the Padres Whoop them!

-sorry, had to throw in that jab

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown dinner and dancing recommendations..

Thanks everyone! I now have my Saturday night planned.

As for baseball, the padres are beating up my Braves this weekend! GO BRAVES! SD is playing very well these days. I bought tickets to go to a game when I'm there in June - can't wait to check out your new stadium.

Anyway, thanks to all for your suggestions. My trip is less than a month away!!