We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to L.A.?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to L.A.?

We are travelling in a rented 28ft motorhome from San Diego to L.A. so...............

1. How long will it take us?

2. And which is the best and easy route to take? we've never been or driven in the US before!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to L.A.?

You are brave choosing this road to make your US driving debut. You really have two options, and make no mistake I'm no expert but I have made the trip a dozen times. The obvious route would be Interstate 5 up to the 405 depending on where you are going in LA. In a motorhome this should be a couple hour trip depending on traffic. When I say traffic I mean it; bad traffic will double your time. Maybe some locals can give you advice on a good time of day? An alternate route would be the Pacific Coast Hiway (PCH) (old road replaced by I 5). You can catch this in San Diego. It stretches from SD to Oceanside. You'd need to hop back on the 5 for a bit and then jump back on around Dana point. This would take you through many coast towns like Lajolla, Delmar,Oceanside Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach. It will take a lot longer because of traffic lights etc. but the scenery is beautiful.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to L.A.?

I agree with Rono in that you are brave taking driving a motor home to L.A. for your first driving experience. While the small towns are more scenic it would add quite a bit of time to the trip. I would stick to Interstate 5 to get to L.A. You do have some nice ocean views driving along the coast.

I would leave San Diego at 9 AM - you'll be able to avoid the worst of the traffic. Depending on where you're going in L.A. it should take you from 2 to 3 hours. It's a very easy drive when there isn't traffic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to L.A.?

I agree with Rono, and the advise of where to stop such as La Jolla and what not.. these are a must see while in the SoCal area.

Also, half way to Anahiem (if this is your route in Los Angeles) you can stop at a place called Carlsbad. This is a neat area but whats also cool about it is the outlet shopping. Carlsbad Outlet Shopping is a great place to pick up some stuff at great low prices.. they have some great brand names shops!

Just an idea.

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to L.A.?

I have traveled from San Diego to Los Angeles and back a lot and I always take Interstate 5. It takes about 2-2.5 hours (65mph - 105kph) depending where in LA you are going.

The time of day and what day you travel is important.

If you are traveling on a week day then waiting to about 10-11AM until the morning work traffic has dissipated is a good idea.

Traveling early (8-9AM) on weekends is the best (no work traffic and less big trucks)

FYI-First time my cousin and husband came here from Taunton, Somerset they rented a car in San Diego and drove all the way up to San Francisco and back, had a great time, no problems.

san diego
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to L.A.?

It is also important to know where in LA you are going. LA is a BIG place. Taking the 5 North from San Diego to the 405 N in Orange County will take you on a much different route than taking the 5 all the way which will take you into Downtown LA.

I like the 5 to the 405 (unless you want the scenic, beach route). If you take the 5 North all the way, you will get into some very industrial areas.

Also, be sure that you do NOT drive out of San Diego on Sunday afternoon or you will be in for a very LONG drive. There is a lot of traffic on the northbound 5 on Sunday afternoons and evenings. (Southbound on the 5 into San Diego on a Saturday morning can also be difficult.)