We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Best Bars in San Diego

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
597 reviews
Save Topic
14 Best Bars in San Diego

https:/…

6 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,489 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

Conde Nast has their taste and I have mine. In bars it isn't "swanky oceanfront lounges with Insta-glam views". In bars, not pubs or gastropubs, or cocktail lounges, but down and dirty bars I like dark interiors and red leathers; ice cold beer, stiff drinks and wine that has three choices 'red, white or pink'.

My 14 best bars would include the Waterfront, Tivoli, High Dive, the old Turf Club, Little Club, Nunu's, the Stadium Club, the Lamplighter and Starlite

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

Thanks for your insight, it is good to know where locals like to go as well.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,962 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

Not all locals like the same type of atmosphere.

I find the list interesting since it mentions places in many areas of the city and not just downtown!

A friend just told me about the Grass Skirt and we'll probably be in Little Italy soon and try out Craft and Commerce. It is owned by the same group that has the really fun "secret" bar in the UTC shopping mall called Raised by Wolves. We had fun there last week!! I like to try places that are a bit different and not just dingy dives.

Mentioned in this post
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,542 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

It is a good thing there is something for everyone and I like different places depending on my mood/what I want to do. I do like Tivoli and have been there more times than I can count (good for pre game Padres), Waterfront is a lot of fun, haven't been in Nunu for years.....however, unless I'm just feeling like beer or a cocktail, I prefer a place that does have a decent wine list.

Anyway, of the the ones on the linked article - Polite Provisions is great! We love to go there. Lots of cool cocktails (they do have beer too fyi). Sycamore Den is a lot of fun in Normal Heights - Scott it might be right up your alley with your "wish list". Cowboy Star - our friend is a bartender there - so do I need to say more? Modern Times I recommend all the time on this forum for people looking for local craft beer. Bali Hai has kick a** mai tais! Kindred is a cool looking place - we usually have to spend time there while waiting for a table at Buono Forchetta - however there wine is "on tap" - not necessarily a bad thing, but I've just had hit or miss there. Cocktails are good. Madison in Unversity Heights is excellent. Cool vibe and good drinks.

I would just add a few more not on the list: The Office in North Park - good cocktails and great HH pricing. Old School place would be the Air Conditioned Lounge in North Park. Dive bar Blue Foot.

Mentioned in this post
Cowboy Star
Cowboy Star
394 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Bali Hai
Bali Hai
750 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

Also forgot we have been to Craft and Commerce in Little Italy and really enjoyed it. Also like Kettner Exchange - a bit more upscale.

Gosh you could go on and on I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,542 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Kettner Exchange
Kettner Exchange
156 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,962 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Best Bars in San Diego

What I like about Bali Hai is that they have cocktails listed by strength.

It's good to know (for a lightweight like me) which are the milder ones and which are the stronger ones!!

Mentioned in this post
Bali Hai
Bali Hai
750 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Reply to: 14 Best Bars in San Diego
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;