We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle rock and Monument rocks

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Castle rock and Monument rocks

My husband and I will be traveling from Fort Leavenworth on Route 70. We would like to stay somewhere relatively close to Castle Rock. Would Quinter or Hays offer any historical sites of interest? I am assuming that the trip will be 5 or so hours from Fort Leavenworth. I am open to all suggestions at this time as I have not finalized any part of our touring. We arrive in Kansas City Oct 1st and will visit with family at Fort Leavenworth until the 5th then return to them by the 9th or early on the 10th. We do plan to visit Wichita (esp.TallGrass Prairie Preserve),Topeka,and maybe Salina and yes I know this is probably a little ambitious on my part. We just want to see as much of Kansas as we can possibly squeeze into this first visit. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Castle rock and Monument rocks

When you are in Wichita you might enjoy going to the Cowtown Museum. You will see what this area of Kansas was like when first settled. Close by you will find the Botanica Garden that is a delight. Also nearby is a very nice Art Museum. If you're spending the night around the weekend a fun place to go would be Old Town Mosley Street Meladrama.

If you go about 20-25 minutes west of Topeka on I70, there is a small town called Paxico just to the north off the Snokomo exit a couple miles. This town was established in 1886 if I remember correctly. If you are interested in antiques at all, you might be interested in stopping there for a couple hours. The downtown looks like it did when settled and there are many antique shops and a winery tasting room. I was just there this past weekend and found a gorgeous bedroom set for the low price of $48,000.00

When you stop at Abilene, and are a dog lover, you probably would enjoy a visit to the Greyhound Museum.

You sure will notice that there are lovely rolling hills in Northeast Kansas and that by the time you get to Wichita the land sure gets very flat. Enjoy your visit and the lovely longlasting sunsets.

Edited: 10:34 pm, September 22, 2013
haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Castle rock and Monument rocks

I forgot that one of Kansas's best kept secrets is in the small town (pop around 2000) of Ellingwood. This is located in the middle of the state. There is quit a bit of history underground from the days of the cattle drives and cowboys. The cowboys had barber shops, banks, about 11 saloons and several brothels all underground. There are a lot of the original items from that time.

Reply to: Castle rock and Monument rocks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Topeka