We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Hotels

Fullerton, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
Boston Hotels

Hi There,

A couple girlfriends and I will be in Boston April 11th to the 15th...never been before:) We are looking for a reasonable hotel possibly walking distance to eat and drink. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,483 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Hotels

What are you planning on doing while you are here? Shopping? Sightseeing? There are several areas of the city that would suit your needs, you just need to narrow it down for us a bit.

boston usa
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Hotels

A reasonable hotel in a good location (Back Bay) is Hotel 140. It's very handy to the South End and to the Boylston Street area. it's right beside the tallest building in Boston- the Hancock Tower. Lots of good places within walking distance. Oh yeah, it's within walking distrance to the theater district and chinatown.

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boylston Street
Boylston Street
105 Reviews
Boston, MA
Humboldt County
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Hotels

shancan

I'm also planning a trip to Boston, and am finding the hotels to be very pricey. I've started to explore vacation rentals, and there seems to be more value there. Either google "boston vacation rentals" or check vrbo.com (I think). Good luck.

ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Hotels

Hi there

I am also planning a trip to Boston to celebrate a 50th birthday (my mum's) - she and my dad are spending some time in New York first then travelling to Boston they have never been. I would love to know the following:

1. Hotels that are not overly expensive (but nice!)and central to an area of Irish historical interest.

2. The best way to travel from New York to Boston and back again.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Hotels

Eighteen,

The Downtown is pretty compact, so that you can get to most areas by foot. The rest you can reach via the "T" subway.

That said, however, for Irish interest, I presume the area you'd be most interested in the Downtown Area and the Freeddom Trail, which is a walk connecting many of the historical sights. Right on the trail and "not overly expensive" by Boston standards is the Omni Parker House Hotel. It is also a historic sight for itself and is near the Irish Famine monument.

There are a lot of choices for travel to New York City: plane, bus, train, or auto. I always go by car (it's a 4-hour drive), but if you don't have one then perhaps train makes the most sense. There's the Acela high-speed train that makes the trip in about 3 to 3.5 hours. It's more pricey than the "regular" train, but shaves an hour off the time. Go to Amtrak for tickets and information.

The buses are cheaper and make the trip in 4 to 4.5 hours. Trailways and Greyhound are the "main brands". The Fung Wah buses that run from NYC's Chinatown are REALLY cheap, but there have been a lot of questions around their safety record.

Mentioned in this post
Fullerton, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Hotels

Thanks for all your help, we actually ended up on hotwire b/c it seemed like most hotels that were recommend were booked. Got a good deal at The Westin Boston Waterfront for 99.00 a night. Located at 425 Summer Street...hopefully it is a decent location! If anyone knows that area and can recommend shopping, places for a bit to eat, maybe a cool bar for drinks, etc. I really appericate everyone's input!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Boston Waterfront
The Westin Boston...
111 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Hotels

The problem with the Westin Boston Waterfront is that it's actually in South Boston, adjacent to the new Convention Center. Kind of misleading, since the Westin isn't really ON the Waterfront. You have to walk a quarter mile or so to get to "civilization", which in this case is South Station. Another quarter mile and you're in Downtown Crossing. It's also a 10 or 15 minute walk to the Waterfront, by Rowes Wharf and the Aquarium. There, unfortunately, are no restaurants right there except what the hotel provides.

During the day, it's no problem walking to the Downtown Area or the Waterfront , but at night the area is pretty deserted. It's not that this is a "bad" area, per se, but it here's not much going on unless the Convention Center has a show or whatever happening. My suggestion is to take taxis at night back and forth.

If you want more specifics, let us know.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Boston Waterfront
The Westin Boston...
111 Reviews
Boston, MA
Waterfront
Waterfront
1,668 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Hotels

I agree with AlanM...it's not a bad area but desolate... If they run a shuttle to South Station, that would solve the problem.

9. Re: Boston Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, August 25, 2009