We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

Bobcaygeon, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

I'm planning my move to the Boston area and I was wondering what income would be comfortable for two people. We plan on living in a $1200 apartment in Waltham and sharing the costs as best as possible. Based on my math, it seems like $40,000 is a pretty good number where you can pay for housing, rent, utilities, insurance, etc. I currently have a job offer for $40,000 + commission + benefits, so that seems reasonable for two people, plus the other person will be working too. We will be saving money as best as we can, so no extraneous movie nights or expensive dinners or anything like that. We have games, Netflix, etc to keep us entertained.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

I don't see anything about transportation. You going to have a car? If not, how are you going to move around? Walk to Boston? No. Where is the job, by the way? Good thing you also don't have to worry about eating or paying taxes on that $40K.

Bobcaygeon, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

I have a car, and my job is also in Waltham. Like I said, the other person will be working too. Based on how much I spent on groceries in college, I am guessing about $400 for the both of us.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

Check out this cost of living calculator. I have no idea where you live .... But you can play with the cities

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=United+States&city1=Toronto&city2=Boston%2C+MA

$40000 for two people seems low. Hope you get good commissions. Boston is expensive and as Alan pointed out you are not accounting for transportation, food, phone, etc. you need a spouse or roommate with income to make it work.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

What's that $400? Is that food per week? OMG! If that's the case then food and rent will take all you the money you make with nothing left for anything else.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

>>>ffer for $40,000 + commission + benefits, so that seems reasonable for two people,<<<<

Sorry. That statement confused me. Does the other person already have a job and authorization to work?

If yes ... Then you should be able to make it work.

You need to register the car in Mass and car insurance is required. So, that is another expense. The cost of the mandatory insurance will depend on the age of your car, how long you have been driving and your driving record.

Also benefits sometimes come at an expense. Health insurance may cost $250 per month and your employer may pay $200 with the rest of the cost being deducted from your pay ....

Edited: 2:10 pm, July 29, 2016
Bobcaygeon, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

400/month, not 400/week for groceries. I ate a lot of cheap but relatively healthy food like eggs and rice in college. Base pay is $40k and up to $25k commission. The other person is in the job market right now. We are staying with friends until we both have solid jobs. One of the two cars is already registered/insured and costs about $80/month. Just trying to see the viability of it all. Wondering if two can survive on say, $60,000/year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

You'll get by one way or the other. Plenty of people live on less.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,666 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

There are good parts of Waltham

There are less good parts of Waltham

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

I agree with Hank W, people get by on less. You will figure it out (now if you had kids, I wouldn't be saying this)

Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does Greater Boston really cost to live?

Did you do your research of the area in Waltham? As Northern_traverler mentioned, there are some good and not so good. If you're paying $1200 a month, you either have scored an amazing deal or you're living in the slums... Waltham is one of those cities that is close enough to Boston that you will pay a premium to live there.

If you're working in Waltham, what about living somewhere a little further out? You may find something a little nicer for $1200/month and the commute wouldn't be too bad.