We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One nighter

Hockey Land
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
One nighter

Dec 9, flying in from Buffalo to catch Bruin's game.

What would be a good area to stay that is close to the airport and arena. Sunday would like to do some shopping. Open to suggestions.

Also, would a rental car be necessary or better off to use taxi's and hoof it?

I AM Books
Gift & Specialty Shops
Russian Dolls
Gift & Specialty Shops
Old Japan
Gift & Specialty Shops
Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One nighter

The Marriot Residence Inn on Tudor Wharf lists available room on Dec. 9 for $139 on Orbitz.com

Right on Boston Harbor next to the USS Constitution and just a short walk over the North Washington Street Bridge to Causeway Street and the TD BankNorth Garden.......great spot.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One nighter

You might also want to check out the Marriot Tudor Wharf. It's right over the short bridge from the Garden in Charlestown.

Also, yes, no car. It would be crazy for the trip you describe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One nighter

Charlestown is also a much more convenient (and cheaper) taxi ride to/from the airport than the Courtyard in South Boston.

No shopping to be done there, however; you'll need to walk the 1/2 mile back over the bridge to the Green Line's North Station stop (by the Garden) to get on a T train(subway).... or, if time & distance isn't very important to you, you could keep walking on into Boston. So FWIW, if the Millenium doesn't hold appeal, I'd pick the Midtown over either more expensive Marriott property in Charlestown.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One nighter

Yes, the Marriott at Tudor Wharf in Charlestown IS quite ideal, especially for an early December trip to catch a Bruin's game.

The Bank North-Boston Garden complex is extremely close to that Hotel, the weather might be a little iffy, but a lot of times it's the end of December when we have snow, so you should be fine. You definitely don't need to rent a car at all while you're in Boston, it would be a real nuisance for you when you had to park it. The Hotel is on one side of the Charlestown Foot bridge and the Boston Garden is on the other, just a little further from the bridge around the corner, you'll see all the people heading there the same as you I'm sure!

The thing about the new Marriott in South Boston is that the "T" isn't too far physically, BUT it's a difficult walk with traffic and no direct path and it's definitely in an industrial area off the highway, it's got Home Depot, a Stop & Shop and all kinds of stores like that there. It would be okay to stay there if you were visiting someone at the NE Medical Trauma Center Hospital or one of the other many hospitals in the area or if you were going to the Bayside Expo for a show or something? To get over to the other side of town to the Boston Garden complex from this hotel? Would kind of be a pain for you. They have a shuttle bus for their guests that will take you right in to Boston and also it'll take you right to the MBTA, BUT it has to be available when you're ready to go and a lot of times it's not there because it's in Boston picking up and dropping off people. So, in the end you'd have to take a taxi all around the City. This can be pretty pricey going this way, it adds up, it's anywhere from $12 to $20 a ride.

If you wanted to really stay there though in the end? Remember to make reservations with the desk for their shuttle whenever you wanted to go in to downtown Boston or to get back to the airport.

Hockey Land
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: One nighter

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment and make suggetions. I can't express how much I appreciate it.

This forum is awsome!

In all honesty, I was trying to keep things "on the cheap".

My wife works for Marriott and she can get me a great discount if not free at the Boston South property. Unfortunatly the Wharf is not as cheap even with a discount. So I'm still in research mode based on everyone's suggestions. I've never been to Boston and I like the idea of being within walking distance so I think I'll try and get the best rate close to the action.

Can't wait, managed to add an extra day so arriving Friday instead of Saturday so that means 2 nights in a hotel.

Once again, thanks to all who have contributed.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: One nighter

Sounds like you might be in info overload, but..... The Marriott Long Wharf and Marriott Custom House Hotels are both within walking distance of the Garden (assuming the weather isn't awful). Maybe your wife can get a deal at one of these. They're both great properties.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Boston Marriott Long...
2,226 Reviews
Boston, MA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: One nighter

Oh, I am envious of anyone whose S/O is in the travel/hospitality biz and can get hotel discounts :-)

Happy to hear that you're able to spend another day in Boston... even so, I bet you'll leave wishing you could have stayed longer. Have a GREAT time! And here's hoping you'll post a formal hotel review and/or report back here on the Forum upon your return.

Mentioned in this post
Forum
Forum
66 Reviews
Boston, MA
18. Re: One nighter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 25, 2009