We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

Hi everyone.

Only 10 days to go until our trip and getting v excited. Down to fine details now........... can you advise on tipping - basically how much and who expects to get a tip. We were in Florida earlier in the year and tipping seemed to be expected for just about everything so don't want to get it wrong in Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

Tipping is expected in both restaurants and taxis. The range for restaurants is 15-25%. My personal thought is to start around 20%, reduce to 15% for minimal service and 25% for great service. Of course, if service is perfectly dreadful, you have to do what you have to do. My other tip plan is to leave at least a couple of dollars regardless of what the percentage is.

You didn't ask, but.... Generally the tip is NOT included in the bill, although this is more common for large parties (like 6 or more people); there you should check.

For taxis, 10% is reasonable, but at least a dollar or two.

A couple of dollars for handling luggage (more if there's more than a piece or two), a couple of dollars a day for the maid in your hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,649 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

I typically leave the maid at least $5/day ( $10 if it's a suite). Since it takes them more time & energy to make up the bed, vacuum, etc. than, e.g., the bellman to tote up my bag, I figure they've earned more than the tip I give to other hotel staff members. And since the same person will not necessarily be assigned to service your room throughout your stay, do leave the maid's tip every day rather than waiting until the end of your stay.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

Hi,

The figures quoted above are fine. I'd just also add that you should leave a minimum tip of at least $3.00-$4.00, especially (for example) at a breakfast place where the bill might have only come to $10 total. That's assuming that the service was good. Regardless of what any waiter might tell you, tipping here is NOT required if the service was really bad. I've been known not to tip when the waiter was outright rude to me, or completely disinterested in his/her job.

4. Re: How much to tip in restaurants, taxis etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 24, 2009