We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waikiki
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Aloha,

May I ask for your help?

My son & I are planning to have a 4 day stop over in Boston before heading to Cooperstown NY for a Baseball Tournament.

I have looked at two hotels (after reading all the reviews). Midtown would be better for our budget, so we can spend more money on baseball tickets etc.

Yet, the reviews on the Millenium Boston seems to be a safer place to stay with a better location.

I am more concerned about safety then anything else.

We like to sightsee during the day, then go back to the hotel for a break/pool and then go out early evening to have a light dinner & people watch. Is the area around Midtown safe for my son & I to walk?

Is it worth spending the extra $100.00 a night to stay at the Millenium? Is there enough restaurants and places to visit near the Midtown at night?

According to the websites the B. Sox are planning to play C. Sox in July - will those tickets be like immposible? I realize I will be paying top dollar, but in Hawaii we only have college.

If you have any other ideas on where to stay I would appreciate it.

My problem is that I smoke - and have not seen many hotels w/ smoking rooms. We also love the water so we liked the idea of a pool.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Re: Sox tickets . Keep checking the redsox.com website and as soon as they go on sale, I would advise you grab them. Otherwise you can try purchasing them through stubhub, or ebay. You and your son would probably enjoy the tour of Fenway as well if you are baseball enthusiasts.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Aloha right back at ya!

The Midtown is in sort of a sketchy area, but not totally sketchy... like the MFA is there, much of Northeastern University is there... the Symphony is there. You might have to walk through some drugged-out types to get there---it's not a fabulous area to walk at night, but then again, it's a big city and ... you stay near Faneuil Hall and there are drunks and fights that spill out from the barrooms periodically.

If you stay at the Midtown, my only bit of advice to you is not to wander far off of the beaten path behind the hotel, away from Huntington Ave. Stay on Huntington ave. the trolley is there. It's close to Copley Square, just a few blocks away. Daytime is fine...like i'm sure wallets get stolen etc. during daytime, but walking the streets then feels fine. The only time I've felt in any danger in that area has been nighttime and it's been things like people who seem drunk or drugged approaching asking for money... There's a stretch of the street there that's not so well lit.

If you stay at the midtown, I'd suggest not eating at the strip of pizza joints, etc. across the way. Go further to Copley Square. I don't think it's impossibly unsafe (there are hotels in the city i would definitely steer you away from)... this one is mixed... like there are nice restaurants and a lot of NU students in this area, lots of well-heeled symphony-goers, etc. There's just...a drug problem and... it's a big city.

Faneuil Hall is much "nicer".. but this is closer to the ballpark and...the same sorts of characters you might encounter near the Midtown will definitely be in Kenmore Square...

If you take your son, try NOT to get bleacher seats. Those seats tend to be full of foul-mouthed drunken people, especially at night games. It's not unusual to have fights break out, fistfights... people come home soaked with beer... not always, but.. it's not unheard of.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Oh... my cousin came with her kids and got a great rate at the Colonnade, which isn't far from the Midtown, but i think it's a notch up... but my cousin got a super great rate via one of the online travel sites...

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

If you can get a good rate on the Colonnade you might seriously consider it. Roof top pool is a big hit, the hotel is across the street from the back side of the Prudential Center.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Aloha,

Both the Midtown and Millenium Hotels are fine and you shouldn't have any problem in terms of safety at either of them. There are lots of places to eat in both areas, and I wouldn't hesitate at all.

The Midtown is in Back Bay across the street from the Christian Science Church Center and near the Prudential Center. It's walkable to Fenway Park from there, but it is a hike. The hotel is on the "T" Green Line, too, so you'd have that flexibility. The biggest problem I've seen in the reviews is that the hotel and furnishings are a little dated.

The Millenium is located on the Freedom Trail, near Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market, the North End and the Waterfront. It is a newer hotel and is also near the "T". If the cost were the same, I'd opt for this hotel, but only you can decide which makes more economic sense. For $1.25 each, you get get from one hotel to the other in 20 minutes or so on the "T".

Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

i sat in the bleacher seats recently and it wasn't as bad as described above. There were many families with small children as well as young adults. The energy was great fun.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Hello!

I would second the suggestion that the Colonade would be a bit of an upgrade over the Midtown, and would still keep you within decent distance of Fenway. There is usually a lot of foot traffic along Huntington Avenue during the day, with Northeastern's campus in the vicinity as well as the Christian Science Mother Church. In summer the reflecting pool draws lots of people for a quiet respite on hot days. If the pool bit is a must, then the Colonade is the way to go.

One place you will always find a good meal is at Thornton's Cafe. It's been around forever and it's a great spot anytime. I especially like them because they are accommodating to single persons eating alone. Not an issue now but when I was a singleton it was nice. Brasserie Jo is in the Colonade Hotel and is always a good spot for a meal. Across the way is the Prudential and not too far up is Copley Place.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
907 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Aloha,

Single Dad here. Took my son to Boston for a week this past summer and we saw two Indians (our team) - Sox games in Fenway.

I was able to get tickets the first day they went on sale (Saturday in February). They have a virtual waiting room - if you don't get in, they keep trying to get you in. I finally got tickets after about 6 hours. I started the automatic trying at 10 when tickets went on sale, went to his basketball game, school fair and lunch, came home and still wasn't in. Kept checking the computer every 15 minutes or so and finally got in around 4.

I was able to get two tickets in the lower grandstand, one section to the left of home plate.

They still had pairs of tickets available late that day and on Sunday. By Monday the tickets were pretty much down to singles.

The on sale time will be pre-dawn for you. I would just get up and start trying.

If your son is a baseball freak, he will love it.

If you are going to be there over a weekend, you might be able to get decent deals for a few nights at the hotels around Copley / Convention Center.

Take the T to the games. The cars will be very crowded.

We liked the Fenway tour, but were disappointed we did not get on the field. We asked if we would be able to get on the field on a day when the Sox were out of town. We were told they got on the field only a handful of times during the season. The tour was the press box, the club seats, top of the Green Monster and the lower deck.

The atmosphere in Fenway is incredible, the fans are knowledgable.

As part of your sightseeing I would recommend the Science Museum as a must see. The JFK museum was also good, along with the Freedom Trail.

If you can swing the tickets at face value (figure around $50 per ticket with fees), maybe you will have more $$ for the hotel. Don't commit to a hotel you can't cancel until you know what is going on with your tickets.

Also - plan to use the T for all your travel - if you get hotel with a stop within a few blocks of the T, it should not be a problem.

We stayed in the Copley area. We took the T back one night, walked back from Fenway the other night.

You will also love Cooperstown - if you can swing it, stay at a B&B in town. We did the Cooperstown trip two years ago. WE stayed at the Landmark Inn - check out the reviews. The Hall of Fame is a must see.

Sounds like a dream trip for you and your son. Enjoy.

Waikiki
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

Thank you for all your information.

I feel much better being there with my son. I guess it's like any other city, you just need to be aware and use common sense.

Mahalo!

10. Re: Single mom from Hawaii with fanatic baseball son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 21, 2009