We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cities/towns around Boston

Cities/towns around Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:12 am, November 02, 2015
1. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:12 am, November 02, 2015
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
1 review
2. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

Where are you staying? Do you have a car?

Edited: 6:54 am, March 29, 2015
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

Visit Plymouth, about 40 miles south of Boston. http://www.seeplymouth.com/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

I like Concord. Also the Gloucester/rockport area, although I think a lot may be closed at this time. With 10 days you could also do a day trip up the coast to Maine, or the other direction to Newport, etc. if you like art you could go west to Mass MoCA and the Clark institute.

Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

There are a few options for towns around Boston that are worth your visit. As you mentioned, Cambridge and Salem are good options- other towns north of the city with a lot of historical sites include Lexington and Concord; if you go even further up north near the New Hampshire border, you might want to look at Gloucester and Rockport, which are both coastal towns. If you go south of the city, you could find a lot to do in Quincy and Plymouth. In addition, Foxborough has a ton of stores right by Gillette Stadium, and Wrentham has a very large outlet. Keep in mind that pretty much all of the cities I mentioned, with the exceptions of Cambridge and Quincy, are really only accessible by car.

I'm not sure what your plans are within the city of Boston, but there are a ton of activities you could do that would give you a great itinerary for several days. Off the top of my head, places like the Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Harvard Museum of Natural History, The Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, Boston Aquarium, whale watching, touring Boston Harbor islands, the JFK Library, and the Prudential Tower Skywalk Observatory are all good options.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

You can get to Newburyport by commuter rail; that's a fun place to grab a bite to eat and stroll in and out of stores. Also, closer to Boston, I'd add Somerville to the list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
217 reviews
7. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

I'd take a bus/train to NYC for a couple of days if you have that much time.

Closer: Cape and Islands, Maine coast.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

Go to the Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, or visit Plymouth for sure.

Other towns to visit: Marblehead, Newburyport, Portsmouth NH, Providence RI, Newport RI, Mystic CT, Provincetown MA, Lowell, MA, Portland ME, York ME, Kennebunkport ME, Ogunguit ME, Gloucester MA, Rockport MA

9. Re: Cities/towns around Boston

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2016