We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

Hi,

We are travelling by car on a Sunday October 22nd and are booked into a Hyannis hotel for the night. I have read that Mystic or Newport are good stops to make.

Can anyone advise me what route would be best out of the city and up to Hyannis? We have never been in this area (MA) although have driven in NY previously. I know that I could get a suggested itinerary on the internet but that does not tell you which one would be more scenic, etc.

Will there still be foliage to view at this time? We were north of NY once in early November and the views were incredible.

Thanks in advance

Santa Cruz, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

I have driven both routes. I think the prettiest route would be the one that takes you through Mystic. You'll end up on more back roads and have lots of options for places to stop and look around.

Travelling through Newport would be nice too - the city is a fun one to look around and there are many good restaurants. If you take the Newport route I recommend walking some of the Cliff Walk - it's a beautiful way to stretch your legs after driving.

As far as foliage goes - it looks like there should still be good color at that time. I recommend checking at www.foliagenetwork.com

Have fun! My only other piece of driving advice would be don't be afraid to turn around if you pass something that looks interesting. Some of my favorite driving memories are when I set aside the time table and took in the different views along the way.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

lassie, if you're interested in a scenic route to Mystic, ask Valerie for her directions... most of us just take I-95 (what used to be known as the Conn. Turnpike) from NYC through Connecticut, continuing on from Mystic to Providence & then pick up 195 -- or take Rt. 102 off I-95 and meander to Rte. 4, then 138 past Newport & Portsmouth to pick up 195 at Fall River.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

Thank you both for your help. We will try to take both places in if traffic and time permit.

4. Re: Which route to take - NY to Hyannis (via Mystic or Newport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 22, 2009