We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not so sure about Charley's

Newton, MA
13 posts
Save Topic
Not so sure about Charley's

I went to Charley's in the Chestnut Hill Mall with a group of friends....I give the waitstaff a thumbs up (because I know a few of them-but they were also good)- but the California Pizza I got was sub-par... I always get sucked in to going there

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

I've patronized that "eating and drinking saloon" since they were on Newbury St more towards Mass. Ave. than their current Newbury location. I have to agree that they've slipped a notch over the years in terms of food quality but if somebody suggested going I wouldn't feel "dragged." For a similar sort of place in the general vicinity you might want to check out the Ground Round or Cityside, both in Cleveland Circle, instead.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

I love Charley's on Newbury Street. The location is good and the food is decent.

I tend to look askance at places like that when they're located in a mal - don't know why but they're never as good as the 'real'ones.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

I like Charley's too and I tend to agree that mall locations aren't quite as good (the one at the Emerald Square Mall in Mansfield, at least, is pretty underwhelming). Charley's is pretty generic, but they do certain things very right - their clam chowder is great and they have good burgers and pasta and basic things like that.

Totally disagree with the Ground Round at Cleveland Circle suggestion! And not just because it went out of business and is now an Applebee's - I always thought Ground Round was pretty awful and over the last couple of years of its existence, the food kept getting worse and worse until it was practically inedible. Not that Applebee's is some sort of upgrade. Cityside is good though - fantastic nachos. If you want to try something different, go to Bangkok Bistro next to Cityside. Awesome, cheap Thai food.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

I agree with the post that Charley's "original" on Newbury St. was very good, but I've been disappointed on the couple occasions when I've gone to the new one on the corner of Newbury and Gloucester(?).

I was also a big fan of the Newbury Steak House on Mass. Ave. Alas, time takes its toll.

I also used to like the Ground Round in the Pru (in the early '70s), but can't say the same for any of the locations I've been to since. (Also loved the Fatted Calf in Copley Square for burgers)

As far as a "moderately-priced" steak/burger place in town, I find the Longhorn to be quite satisfactory.

Boston
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

Parish Cafe on Boylston

Charlies is just a Back Bay restaurant group chain restaurant. Nothing made to order there not gormet.

East Coast Grille in Cambridge Hot!

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not so sure about Charley's

Try Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Sq. Kinda funky but worth a shot.