We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in April 07

Detroit
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Boston in April 07

My Wife and I are attending the Adobe Photoshop world seminar in Boston in April. We would appreciate info on:

Hotels along the Green line that are not budget busters but not flea traps too... I found one in Newton for $112 that seemed nice.

Has to be Very close to the T. We are both retired and we want to save our feet for the markets.

Would like free parking.

Suggestions on what to see along the water. (Duck Tour?)

Areas with the best value for food.

In short... I want to know anything you Boston people are ready to share. I've allready read the Boston Forum and have lots of ideas but we need to hear from some Real, Live Boston Experts! :-)

Thank you in advance for sharing.

Menkaure

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in April 07

For lodging, I suggest the Gryphon House B&B, located a short walk to the Green Line subway, Fenway Park, Boston University, the Charles River and he Esplanade. On site parking used to be free but I believe that it changed recently to a $15 per day charge which is exceptionally reasonable in Boston. Daily room rates are subject to change but are quoted on their site as $149.00 to $265 plus state and local tax.

http://gryphonhouseboston.com

For free parking, try the Midtown Hotel; probably two stars with reasonable rates and is near to public transportation, the Green Line subway. It is near Northeastern University and the Museum of Fine Arts.

http://www.midtownhotel.com

Chinatown is the least expensive place for food but you can also do reasonably well at the Quincy Market food stalls and some sushi shops and diners which are in central Boston.

For specific restaurant suggestions, read the last 20 - 50 postings on this forum. Everyone has different favorite restaurants.

Yes, defintely take the Duck Tour (obtain early morning reservations in advance), and walk the Freedom Trail

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in April 07

The Holiday Inn in Newton is okay. Newton is a nice neighborhood.

You might also check the travel sites for deals on downtown hotels. My cousin got a great rate at the Colonnade, which is a nice, centrally-located hotel. If you hit it right, you might get a good deal. Of course, to get free parking, I think you have to go out into the suburbs, like in Newton.

If you want the best value for food, Cambridge is full of excellent places that cater to students---you can find really top-rate food, especially ethnic options, in Harvard and Central Squares. Chinatown has a place called the Chinatown Eatery, where the locals eat. If you ask someone in Chinatown, they'll show you the way. It's like a foodcourt without the neon signs. About a half-dozen vendors sell Thai and Chinease food. The customers are Chinatown residents, doctors and nurses from NEMC and students. It's very reasonable and it's the freshest food you can find. If you want nicer, there are plenty of restaurants nearby with fancier surroundings and only slightly higher prices.

Faneuil Hall has high prices becuase it's a tourist location. Copley Square and the Pru are upscale areas, but even there you can find reasonable meals. Brookline (near Newton) is upscale but they also have nice little restaurants that cater to students. All along the Green Line near BU and on the way to BC, you can find places to eat that are reasonable.

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in April 07

You can always have a good healthy meal at the bistros in any whole foods markets for 5- 10 bucks.

4. Re: Boston in April 07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 24, 2009