We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

So Boston is the destination for our Annual Family trip next year. We will have three full days for activities, with either a morning and/or afternoon Thrown in. One of those days will be one of the nearby amusement parks (it's a family tradition now so there's not much flexibility for that). I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay (we usually do VRBO for cost savings but are open to a hotel) and other activities that may be good for a multi generation (5-65) family. Thanks!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
660 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,088 Reviews
from $41.95*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
559 Reviews
from $55.65*
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Memorial Day is May 25, 2015 and is at the end of our Graduation Season. The week before 5 schools are holding commencement and Harvard is scheduled for May 25th. Here is the full list of dates,

bostonzest.com/2014/09/boston-area-commencem…

Make whatever reservations you need for housing and restaurants very soon. Some family members arrive before and stay on for a few days after the event. It is still a busy time for hotels.

This is also a big travel weekend around here with people going to open summer cottages for the season so plan for some traffic.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Approx how many of you are there? Are you looking for an entire house to rent on VRBO?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

What "nearby amusement parks" are you considering?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

There are no amusement parks in the city and those outside the city are not able to be reached by public transportation, so I do hope you have wheels provided for your family. Are you then looking to stay outside the city? What's your criteria for that?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Do you want to stay inside the city or not? How many people in your group? Will you have a car?

You may want to consider renting the whole "annex" building at the Inn at Crystal Cove in Winthrop

http://www.inncrystalcove.com/annex.htm

Winthrop is a tiny suburb that borders on Boston.

It is a short car or bus ride to the subway's blue line. The inn has a pool, is near a playground, a beach, convenience store and several restaurants and an ice cream shop.

That's one idea ... There are others.

As for amusement parks, the closest in Canobie Lake Park in Salem NH. It is a 60-75 minute ride from Winthrop. You will need a car to grt there. i would recommend NOT going on late Fri or any time Mon of memorial day weekend because traffic will be heavy.

It started as a lakeside picnic area at the end of a train line way back when. But they have done an excellent job of keeping up with times with rides to satisfy finicky, thrill-seeking teens. My teens love it ... They have kept and maintained the old wooden coaster ... But they have modernized the seats and restraints...no bouncing around like when I was a kid ;)

Happy planning!

Edited: 11:20 am, October 21, 2014
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Thank you for the replies and yge info about graduation weekend. Uggghhh but glad I know now!! Further information:

Family of 10

In the past we have mainly rented houses

Either six Flags (May have more options for my 49 inch oldest child) or canophie (sp??)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Thank you for the replies and yge info about graduation weekend. Uggghhh but glad I know now!! Further information:

Family of 10

In the past we have mainly rented houses

Either six Flags (May have more options for my 49 inch oldest child) or canophie (sp??)

Right now we are thinking about flying and then renting two cars. However, there is the possibility of a nice road trip

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

Six Flags New England is a 2 hour drive each way from Boston. Canobie Lake Park is a little closer, but you will be in traffic trying to get to either on Memorial Day weekend. For a family of 10 how many bedrooms would you need? There aren't many homes for rent in Boston proper & those that sleep so many are going to be very expensive. Most VRBO rentals in Boston will be apartments that don't accommodate a family of that size, typically.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

According to Google maps, WITHOUT TRAFFIC: from the Park St T station, it is 35 miles/40 minutes to Canobie Lake Park. To Six Flags New England it is 95 miles/95 minutes. But driving in these timeframes is unusual. To minimize traffic delays make this trip on Sunday.

As mentioned, it will be tough to find a single unit that sleeps 10 in Boston proper. If you find something you like in Boston or surrounding areas, please come back before you book and tell us about it so we can comment on Location. Thanks

HAPPY PLANNING!

Edited: 4:05 pm, October 22, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
49 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Multigenerational Family trip Memorial wknd 2015

My daughter & I will be staying in Hyannis for a week next May & plan to have a day trip to Boston. I was reading about the Boston Go Card & saw that it covers entrance fees for many sites, as well as Ferry trips to Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard, all of which we planned on doing. Do you feel that getting the card for 5 days would be a cost effective way for our sightseeing?