We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

We are planning to go to the Science Museum and maybe MIT Museum during the 6 days we are in Boston. We watched a travel program about Boston the other day after seeing it mentioned on here and they showed the Children's Museum. Am I right in thinking that this would be too young for my teenage boys (17 and 15)?

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Don't waste your valuable time in Fall River. There is massive construction going on there. They are removing highway ramps and lots of detours, delays, and downright aggravation. I cringe every time bamayankee recommends Fall River.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Batlleship Cove is great. It's in Fall River. Construction happens everywhere.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Do your teenagers have any special interests or are they pretty much generic teenage boys?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Harvard Square is very fun.

I'm mixed about Fall River. Battleship Cove is super cool---you get to clamber all over these old battleships-- but it's a hike. Fall River itself has a somewhat depressed economy. There's a gorgeous cathedral there, worth seeing, near the warships. It's exquisite. St. Anne's. Other than that, I'm not sure what else is there.

Fall River is, however, in proximity to the Cape and Newport. There's also a neat beach called Horseneck Beach, not all the way to the Cape but closer to FR.

If you leave the city south or north, be aware of traffic patterns. Don't get stuck in Rush Hour or weekend Cape / NH traffic.

Edited: 10:31 am, July 22, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

We're not planning to hire a car which will be a novelty for us. We will be taking the train to New York when we leave and are planning a day trip to Salem by train/ferry so didn't think we needed a car as Boston is so walkable. Other than that we hadn't really considered leaving Boston. Are any if the places mentioned accessible by public transportation?

My boys are very in to musical theatre and and we are going to see Pippin while in New York as it's a show we don't have back home. We have booked to see Shear Madness which my husband and I saw 19 years ago. It's similar to something we saw in Orlando so I know the boys will like it. We are also going to a Red Sox game although they are not keen on sport but we want to go for the experience and the atmosphere. The younger one likes science and it looks like the Science Museum and MIT museum would be a good idea and there should be enough to keep us all amused there.

Harvard is a good shout - with us having been looking at universities for my eldest we'll feel right at home. I remember Harvard being beautiful. Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions. Only 25 days to go!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Rockport and Lowell are each on a commuter rail line. They are suburbs. With six days each/either would be an easy side trip. Battleship Cove would require a bus and be less accessible sans car.

A 9 inning baseball game is about 3 hours (no clock). Eating and socializing during the game is part of it. It has a rhythm that's very different from any other sport. When I was a kid and we went to Fenway my father always scored the game. He taught all of us how to do it. It helps keep you focused on what's happening. …mlb.com/mlb/…keeping_score.jsp

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

BTW other major universities in Boston: MIT (Cambridge - Mass Ave and Memorial Dr, Kendall Sq. stop on Red Line) BU (near Fenway Park, Kenmore Sq on Green Line B-Branch along Comm. Ave.); Tufts (Medford but on Somerville line); BC (at the end of the Green Line B Branch); Northeastern (along Huntington Ave); UMass (Columbia Point..also JFK Library) Many others as well. Brown University in Providence is just a commuter rail trip south and a short walk.

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

Is there any particular group we should book whale watching with?

19. Re: Teenagers too old for Children's museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 25, 2015