We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly or drive

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
swansea
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fly or drive

Thinking of visiting a few places in USA Boston , New York,Philadelphia and Washington have 2 wks to spend there should we fly to each Or start in Boston and drive if we drive what route would we take and is there much to see between each destination?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly or drive

None of the above. There is good train service connecting the cities, and you don't really want a car when in the cities. (If you want to take a day trip to somewhere outside the cities, you can just do a day rental and return it to the same location).

2 weeks is not a lot of time for 4 cities though, no matter how you travel between them. I'd consider dropping Philly.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly or drive

Yes the train is the way to go Amtrak's Northeast Regional book a couple of weeks in advance and its $49 one way. Boston to NYC.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fly or drive

I wouldn't be quick to drop Philadelphia, it's a wonderful city to visit. Of course you're not going to explore any of the cities in great depth on that schedule, but two weeks is enough time to get a good taste of each one.

I agree that the train is the best way to go.

swansea
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fly or drive

Thanks for the replies to be honest I never even thought of taking the train I think that's what we will do I think 2weeks will be enough time as that will give us 3 days each place we have just got back from driving the west coast highway we spent 17 days in total with 3days in las Vegas 4 in San Francisco, 2Los Angeles + 2 San Diego and a few 1 Or 2 night stops on the way + found that suited us fine although we could add on a few extra nights if we have to!x

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fly or drive

What time of year are you planning the trip? I would visit Washington, DC longer than three days.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fly or drive

4 cities in 2 weeks averages to 3 or 4 days in each. That's plenty. I might do only 2 in Philly if I were cutting, 3 in Boston, 4 in NYC and 3 or 4 in DC.

Train is the way to go.

As for things in between, you might consider a stop in Baltimore. I love the inner harbor, great seafood (craps) and places to walk to. You could take the train there.

Philly might be a good place to rent a car and go explore. Atlantic City/gambling if that interests you. Brandywine Valley, Longwood Gardens, lots of historic Dupont mansions around there, Valley Forge and Gettysburg, if that interests you.

Depending on one-way, drop off charges you could drive from Phil to DC, with above mentioned stops, plus some beaches, etc... along the way.

Finally, you might want to do this trip in the spring or fall. DC shuts down for a good bit of the summer (museums are still open, but gov't is in recess), plus it can be brutally hot and humid up and down the coast.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fly or drive

Yes, unlike most areas of the country, those cities happen to be very suitable for train travel.

swansea
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fly or drive

Thanks for replies we are not sure when we are going yet we want to get as much info as possible before booking flights we would also like to visit Gettysburg is it best to do this from Washington or Philly? Also when u say spring or fall what months are they being a Brit I'm not quite sure what you mean sorry x

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fly or drive

You'll need a car to see Gettysburg.

I am not a fan of taking the train between any of these cities because of the cost, especially compared to megabus and bolt bus, but also because Amtrak is so unreliable. You should also be aware that you can fly from Boston to Baltimore, for example, on the world's best airline (Southwest) for what it would cost to take the train from Boston to Washington. Or you could take megabus for half what it would cost to take the train.

You haven't really told us much about what you are interested in seeing aside from Gettysburg but based on that information you might be interested in seeing the National Historical Park at Saratoga:

http://www.nps.gov/sara/index.htm

Edited: 3:39 pm, July 04, 2014
10. Re: fly or drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 06, 2015