We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels outside of Boston

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels outside of Boston

I will be in Boston early October and would like to stay in a location outside the city. I want to be able to drive into the city one day but mostly want to explore some of the smaller towns in MA. Any suggestions on where to stay...some place interesting?

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
662 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
560 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,088 Reviews
from $41.95*
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Hi.

A good town to stay in might be Woburn. While not necessarily interesting, it is 10 miles north of Boston and has a few quality and inexpensive hotels (check this site for more info). From this location there are some great New England day trips within a 2 hour drive (Rockport, Salem, Newport, RI, New Hampshire White Mountains, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Vermont, Lexington/Concord etc., etc.).

2. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 pm, August 18, 2008
Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Woburn is an excellent spot with plenty of options available. There are a couple of Marriot properties, a Red Roof Inn, Hampton Inn to name a few. There are several restaurants, shopping mall and easy access to Interstates 93 & 95 as well as the Anderson Transportation Center for commuter rail service into Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Another benefit of staying in Winthrop is that 737's come in so low you can see the passengers noses pressed against the window. Woburn is O.K.and not too far from some more rural areas like Concord and Lincoln. Red Roof and Hampton would definiteley NOT be my choices though. Courtyard is alright and there are a couple of Holiday Inn's worth a look. As long as you don't venture into the city on a weekday, it's about a 25min. ride.

MrK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

You might consider staying in Salem and taking either the train or the ferry for your day into Boston. Salem itself is quite interesting and a far more pleasant place to stay than either Winthrop or Woburn. You can explore Marblehead next door or experience the towns of Cape Anne: Essex, Rockport, the countryside in Hamilton, etc. Classic New England towns all within a half hour drive of Salem.

You could drive into Boston from there (take 114 West to 128 South to Route 1 South is the best way) and it will take about 35-40 minutes, but Boston driving is miserable and parking expensive. I'd take the train.

Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Rockport is a great town, beautiful and walkable. Bearskin Neck is packed with shops and places in eat.

Cape Ann is a great place to drive around and see the sights. Eagle House in Rockport is quaint and reasonable and within walking distance to the shops and a nice harbor beach.

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Quincy is an excellent location, just south of Boston. There is a fairly new Marriott in Quincy that is very nice (not sure of the price though, but I did stay there once).

From Quincy you can drive to downtown Boston in 12-30+ minutes, depending on traffic. Also, they have the Harbor Express boat (which operates year 'round) to Boston, which is an excellent way to get to Boston's Waterfront and the airport. I love the boat because you don't need to worry about traffic and it's a nice ride. In October you would probably stay inside, which is very comfortable with booths. They sell snacks, soda, coffee and alcohol (limited beer, wine and hard alcohol) on board. If you get off at Boston (rather than the airport) it is an easy walk to the North End (Boston's Little Italy), Fanneuel Hall, the Aquairum and many other fun Boston Locations.

Concerning Quincy, there are many Irish bars if that appeals to you. Also, you can easily drive to Cape Cod. My husband and I love to go to P-town in the off-season. Very fun (don't go if you are a homo-phobe though). Lots of nice boutiques, restaurants, bars, you can catch a drag show (very funny), lots of B&Bs if you want to stay (it is about 2 hours from Quincy because it is the very tip of the Cape at the end).

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide to do.

MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Hello Norttons49,

Is this your first trip here?

If you chose to stay outside of Boston, I seems you may like to be out of the rush of things.

What kind of setting do you like?

What do you like to do for the most part of your time during the day?

Do you enjoy driving?

Shopping?

What type of dinning do you like?

Cocktails?

Walking?

Where you stay here in New England will make or break your stay here.

Boston
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

If you're sure you want to stay outside the city, here's another vote for Salem. It doesn't get anymore interesting in Salem than it does in October...it's got a ton of great history of its own and has many cute inns. You can also take the commuter rail into Boston from Salem and leave the driving behind for a day. Boston is just too walkable to be driving around, especially in the fall.

The surrounding North Shore communities mentioned above are all incredible. Salem WIllows, Gloucester and Rockport are some of my own favorite North Shore day trips. Depending how early in October you're coming, and whether or not it's something you'd have any interest in, the Topsfield Fair - America's oldest fairground - is also usually in town the first two weeks of October. Also located up on the North Shore. Hope you have a great trip to the Boston area!

http://www.salemweb.com/

mbta.com/traveling_t/…

http://www.topsfieldfair.org

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels outside of Boston

Quincy and Braintree are good, but you should think in terms of which smaller towns you want to explore. If you're looking for foliage, you might try staying in Newton or someplace west of the city. Staying at a place that has a T shuttle is ideal because parking in Boston is expensive... hard to find on-street parking...garages very high... $$$