We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth switching hotels

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft Worth
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth switching hotels

I'm staying at the Courtyard Boston Tremont but am considering switching to the Omni Parker House. The switch will cost me $435.00. I'm wondering if the better location,history and more amneties would be worth it. I like the convienence of having a nice resturaunt/bar on premises. We are not going to the theater or particularly like Chinese food so that's why I'm thinking on switching.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

Let's just say that the reasons you give for switching would not be at all important to me that I'd want to spend an additional $400. The location isn't really "better" as it's about a 10 minute walk from the Omni. With the money you will save, you can afford to walk a couple of blocks and have a really nice meal at Bistro Du Midi or something.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

I agree with BeantownMan. Save your money, stay at the Courtyard. But go to the Omni Parker House for a slice of Boston Creme Pie, request the table where JFK proposed to Jackie.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

No way would I spend that kind of money to switch hotels. Stay where you are.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

Thanks, then that's what I'll do.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

What are your dates and what are you spending per night before taxes? Forum members may be able to suggest something a bit nicer than Courtyard Tremont.

The location isn't that great and it gets only a 40% thumbs up on TA! It is undergoing renovations, so some rooms are nicer now, but renovations are still ongoing until the end of the year.

Though lots of people like the Omni Parker House, they do have some rooms that are tiny with poor sound insulation between rooms. I spent a miserable sleepless night in one of those. If you're looking at a discounted rate, you might end up with one of those less-than-great rooms.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

I went thru AA Vacations. I'd lose my $118 in insurance and then pay $300 extra for the upgraded hotel. I thought about canceling the order all together but then I wouldn't get the discounted airfare, besides after reiterating that everything would be refundable if I bought the insurance AA now tells me the airfare portion is not. Never again.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

In other words I need to use one of AAs provided hotels. I see the boston park place is around the same but I don't think it would be worth switching to. Certainly less so than the Parker House. Most everything else cost much more.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

If you have to choose a hotel within the AA vacations package at their rates, and pay penalties, then I'd just stick with what you have.

If you had a cancelable reservation with more flexibility, then forum members could help you hunt around for deals for better hotels. (Including "secret identity" sites where hotel identity is obvious to us)

I would not pay that kid of money switch to either Park Plaza or Parker House. They both have the same issue with a low-end room category and that may be what you get from this package.

So, my advise is to stop thinking about it. It will be fine and you'll have a great time. My trick is to keep room expectations low when I'm doing a bit of a "budget hotel", and then I'm pleasantly surprised when it's not bad. Plenty of people are happy enough with your hotel.

Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:31 am, July 04, 2014
Edited: 7:31 am, July 04, 2014
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth switching hotels

You'll be fine. Boston is compact and easy to get around by foot or by public transportation (www.MBTA.com). You'll be close to plenty of things to do including restaurants, historical sites and much more.

Edited: 7:31 am, July 04, 2014