We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I are coming to Boston next Friday as part of a 15 night, 5 centre trip. We are in Boston for 3 nights and on Monday drive up to Stowe. Is there anywhere en route that you would recommend we should stop and see to break up the journey.?We think it is going to take about 3.5 hours or so driving - would that be about right. Any suggestions for lunch break. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

Karen,

Yes it should take about 3.5 hours, fairly straight forward drive on I-93 out of Boston, then I-89. This route will take you past Concord, which is the state capitol of New Hampshire. Remember that there is no sales tax in N.H. so you could stop for lunch & shopping!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

There are places along the way where you can stop, depending on what you're interested in. The state Capitol in Montpelier is a lovely building, made from the white granite quarried just down the road in nearby Barre. You could pack a picnic lunch and spread a blanket on the grounds in front of the Capitol and relax. It's a popular spot for all those who work in the surrounding state offices to meet.

Montpelier has some cute stores and things to poke in - aside from State Street, the town is pretty sleepy.

The Rock of Ages quarry in Barre gives tours on a daily basis and I recall it was pretty cool when I was 10!

The trip up I-89 is lovely as it follows the natural ridges and contours of the land. There are some spots where the highways overlook some really scenic valleys and mountain vistas.

NB: once you get off the interstate at Waterbury, you'll be on local roads into Stowe. The traffic and low speed limits will obviously add some time. As you travel through Waterbury you might want to stop at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and at the Ben and Jerry's factory store (of course!)

Enjoy the ride!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

Thanks for all your great suggestions. We can't wait for our trip now!

Karen

4. Re: Boston to Stowe.... where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 14, 2009