We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone tell me about the baseball?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can someone tell me about the baseball?

My friend recently said, "you MUST go to the baseball". I'm in Boston for a few nights (22,23,24 April) and am a complete Baseball novice. Google tells me that there is a game oh Thurs 24th at Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox vs NY Yankees. I've had a look for tickets and as I'll be there alone there is a fair bit of choice. There are cheaper tickets (around $40) out on the far sides, or I can get a ticket for $80 in field box 39, which looks like it's really close to the action. That seems a little pricey but hey, it really will be the kind of thing I only do once in my lifetime. Can someone tell me why there is a game that night, and also the same two teams playing the two previous nights? I really am clueless, I guess I am going for the atmosphere and experience!

Thanks!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

There are usually 3 games in a row against the same team, sometimes more. They're called series. Baseball can be extremely boring as it's a long game. But, it's probably worth it to go if you can get tickets as it's something you've never experienced.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

Each major league team plays 162 regular season games (after which there are playoffs), thus 81 games at home. Typically during the regular season a visiting team will come to town to play 3 or 4 games in one visit. Unlike the playoffs, during the regular season winning a series has no special significance.

Friends of mine from Melbourne have been to see the baseball at Fenway and I think they had a good time.

I would definitely go for the $80 ticket.

Baseball games are no where near as boring or LONG as cricket matches.

Edited: 8:44 pm, March 29, 2014
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

Can I just mention something about the enthusiastic recommendations people have-- you are free to go with them, or say, gee I don't think so. Baseball is a big thing in the US, but I wonder if it's worth your time. If you do go, feel free to leave after a few innings ( there are 9 innings). You can try to stay for the 7th inning stretch which is a tradition in baseball ( Boston has its own tradition too). If it's a mild evening it will be fun, maybe. It's an experience. People around you will chat with you. But don't feel obligated to do it. Or if you do go, feel free to leave. I don't like to go in April because it can be too cold.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

I would go for the $80 ticket also. I haven't pulled up that section on Google but I think that's between first and home, so if you're not behind the netting behind the plate, keep your eye on the game so you don't get hit by a foul ball. It's a one in a million shot but I wouldn't want you to get hit. And if a foul ball (a ball that's out of play) comes your way whoever catches it gets to keep it, you don't have to throw it back to the field.

The best part of your timing though is that the Yankees are the arch rival of the Boston Red Sox so it's always a great atmosphere. And as for not knowing about the game it will not be a problem, just ask anyone seated near you. People are friendlier than you'd think at Fenway (at least until we have too many beers in the later innings), even more so when they hear a foreign accent. Games average about 3 or so hours but if you're bored you can always leave. Fenway is an outdoor stadium by the way, so if it's heavy rain the game's canceled.

Link follows for a site that explains the basics of baseball. www.howbaseballworks.com/TheBasics.htm

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

It sounds perfect! Cold, yes, but everything is going to feel cold to me! The seat I was looking at was right behind home base, I think, which seems pretty good.

I would never take a visitor to the cricket (yawn) but a good game AFL is probably comparable in atmosphere, I'm guessing. I will head along just to see what it's like. You never know, I just might catch that foul ball.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

Make sure you purchase from someone reputable - other the official Red Sox website, Ace Tickets, or Stubhub. If you are sitting behind home plate, your seat will be behind netting. Traditionally, Yankees vs. Red Sox games run a bit longer than the norm.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

When we visited in August my husband knew there wouldn't be a game. He took the Fenway tour and really enjoyed it. I think you should consider doing this if you have the time and money. Maybe it will make the game even more interesting. (I'm not interested in baseball, so I went to the TJ Maxx and shopped!)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

I especially recommend the Fenway park tour for people who know nothing of baseball or are not fans of the game. As my sister said, she enjoyed the tour so much she wished she were a fan of the game ( she lives in Oregon and I very much doubt could name a single player on the Red Sox). Although it's extremely touristy these days, in my opinion you can't really say you have seen Boston if you've never been to Fenway Park. I think the tour does a good job of explaining that to visitors.

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

Thank you to MccTripper for the link to the howbaseballworks site. Just what we need for our visit in August weh we have tickets to our first baseball game. Will be able to do a little research beforehand.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can someone tell me about the baseball?

I think if you are visiting Boston and you want a taste of something very "American" and very "Boston", then you should absolutely go to the game. What nobody has mentioned (surprisingly...) is that the NY Yankees are the arch nemisis of the Red Sox, and those games are the most talked about and coveted tickets of the season. I also think the $80 seats are worthwhile if you can afford them. Go and have fun and have a Fenway Frank and some Cracker Jack. You should try to stay at least through the rendition of "Sweet Caroline" later in the game.

By the way, I've seen Cricket here in Boston. They have games and a league. It's quite boring as advertised...:)