We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

I'm accompanying my husband to Boston around the last week of Sept/first week of October. Specifically, I'm flying out towards the end of his business week w/plans for a three day weekend there before flying back to the west coast.

Here are my questions for locals or those very experienced w/the area:

1) His office is in Marlborough. How far is that from downtown/central Boston and would it be better to book a second hotel more central for our weekend together?

2) Weather averages aside, what is typical for that time of year? Wondering what a SoCal person should pack....

3) Any specific favorite recommendations for where to stay, dine or what to see?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

My guess is that LA is a lot worse. If you do choose to drive as you approach the tolls keep in mind. You do NOT have a "FAST PASS" you want the Cash lines. I always feel sorry for the folks who don't know what a fast pass is and end up going through the wrong toll both.

If you choose to stay down town, I would try to ditch the car first. the train isn't a bad idea.

The Southboro station might be a good choice or you could drive a little farter in to natick or framingham check out the Worcester line / commuter train at www.mbta.com each station has info. Inbound tickets are usually purchased on the train unless it is a big station with a terminal. parking at the stations is usually $2 a day. Outbound buy tickets at South Station or Back bay or Ruggles. Everything is in Zones, so you would ask for a round trip or one way to zone...X (depending on what station your at.) make sure you are looking at the schedule for Weekday or Weekend as they are very different.

california
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

Thanks again for everyone's information. I'm really, really looking foward to seeing everything. I had originally thought of coming out for just three or four days with him, but I'm thinking that a whole week would be needed just to scratch the surface of things to do in Boston and the surrounding area (isn't that always the way, with pretty much anyplace you visit?)

I have heard the parking is expensive. The Westin quoted $40 w/24 hour in and out privileges, which sounds good....er, considering!

The toll roads don't sound that bad, honestly.

Am I correct to assume that if we didn't get a rental car, then a taxi ride to Marlborough would be very expensive????

I seem to remember it was about $75 from Logan to the office in Marlborough last time he went out there. So, I'm thinking its probably similar.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

That price for a taxi seems about right. What are your other interests? Mass, NH, RI and Maine all offer great day trip options. Art, hiking, history, sports, wildlife, food?

california
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

I love animals, but don't like seeing them in zoos. Nature is great, and I love to walk. I was thinking of doing some day trips, especially if I'm going to be on my own during the days.

So far, I'm planning to the Freedom Trail, visit the Holocaust Museum, shop, see as many art museums and galleries as possible.

What else should I not miss? If I only did two day trips, what would you recommend? I'm thinking I'd like to see Salem. Someone else said it was interesting especially that time of year.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

I would plan either a Duck Tour or Trolley Tour when you arrive. They'll give you a good feel for the city and where you'd like to spend more time. The Duck Tour is a fun trip in a converted World War II amphibious boat that ends up in the Charles River. The Trolleys go to all the sites and allow all day off/on access, which the Duck Tours don't. Musts that you won't see on the Freedom Trail include Quincy Market, the Waterfront and Aquarium, Copley Square, Newbury and Boylston Streets, the Public Garden, Copley Place and Prudential Center Shopping Malls, Downtown Crossing, Harvard Square (and Harvard Yard).

Side trips could include Rockport, Gloucester, Salem, Newport, Plymouth.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

If you are interested in a nice day hike check out

mountainsummits.com/mountains/…monadnock.htm

Mt. Monadnock is the second most hiked mountain in the world (Mt Fuji is #1)

My sister hikes it once a week with some of her friends. I don't know the exact time but I would guess it's about an hour north west of marlbough.

Northboro, Berlin and Stow are near by towns that have great orchards. http://www.berlinorchards.com/

Tower Hill Botanic Garden might be of interest to you too. http://www.towerhillbg.org/

If you like History, antiques, crafts good food, Sturbridge is fun. Old Sturbridge Village is a living musuem of colonial life www.osv.org

And the Big E is happening at that time. I just rattled on in another post. Check out www.thebige.com For a true new england agricultural fair.

17. Re: First Time to Boston and Need Specific Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 14, 2009