We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

Hi all -

Just booked an impulsive trip to your lovely city in a few months time. I am traveling solo and really looking forward to exploring on my own. I was wondering if you would recommend:

1) A few restaurants/pubs close to my hotel (Charlesmark) that I would be comfortable as a solo traveler. I am not seeking anything posh, just good food: seafood, Italian, pub food, etc.

2) I would love a recommendation for my 1st night in town on a Tuesday probably around 7:00 pm or so.

3) Also, and places around town that would be recommended to grab a good lunch on-the-go like deli sandwiches (please no Subway), etc for days when I am out exploring. Chains are fine, I just really, really dislike Subway. ;-)

Thank you, in advance. I am sure I will have more questions as tme goes on but this will get me started.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

My favorite food trucks are:

Bon Me http://www.bonmetruck.com/

Momogoose yelp.com/biz/momogoose-food-truck-cambridge-2 (their website is under construction)

Clover http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/

I highly recommend the Copley Farmers market. Iggy's bread has lovely sandwiches there, although they sell out early!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

I love Mei Mei Street Kitchen (dumplings), The Cod Squad (chowders) , The Dining Car (crispy cauliflower), A4 (Calzones), PennyPackers (Porchetta), Roxy's Grilled Cheese (mighty rib), and the Chicken and Rice Guys. I'll second Bon Me (Salads) and Clover (rosemary fries). Just giving you one thing not to be missed for each, there is a lot more great food onboard.

And, there are a bunch of new trucks I look forward to trying.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

I love all these suggestions. Please keep them coming. I will be spoiled for choice! Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

I'll second (or I guess third) the Bon Me recommendation.

I'm not a big fan of clover, but if you like orgnanic, local, vegetarian food, you'll probably love it.

Other suggestions near the Charlesmark:

Bangkok Blue is really close to the Charlesmark. I don't know if there is such a thing as a Pad Thai expert, but I consider myself one, and they have the best pad thai in town. Their food in general is above average - there are better Thai places.

Other lunch spots:

Boloco for decent, cheap burritos

Delucas (on Newbury street) for good sandwiches. Some people hate this place, for sanitary reasons, and this is valid, but the sandwiches are good.

When you go to Solas, make sure to get the curry fries - they are great with beer.

There's a bar at the Charlesmark that has some good cocktails, if that' your thing. The bar at Mortons down the block has some good happy hour deals too. And for really inexpensive happy hour deals, head further down Boylston Street to Whiskeys. Warning: It's illegal to discount drinks in MA, so happy hour, just means cheaper good.

The Parish Cafe is another suggestion that I'd second. And right across the street is the Rattlesnake, which has a nice rooftop bar.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

The Morton's on Boylston Street closed some time ago. There is one in the Seaport area.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

Thank you. I LOVE Pad Thai so I will have to check out Bangkok Blue. :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

My daughter and I just stayed at the Charlesmark for four days. The desk staff was great with advice with local resturants and things to do/see. Every place they recommended was great. They mentioned Solas but we didn't make it there. The Globe Bar is in the next block to the left as you leave the Charlesmark and we had lunch there. Awesome sweet pototo fries! I got take out from Papa Razzi's (italian) the first night I was there. Short five min walk. Lolita Concina is a Mexican place right around the corner from the Charlesmark. Enjoyed it, different atmosphere than I expected but would go again. Sugar Heaven is right next door to the hotel....great ice cream in the basement. Tad pricey but great ice cream! We did venture to Little Italy one afternoon and lots of great choices there. Lots of chain type of choices at the Prudental Center down the street. We ventured out to the Black Rose the one night for a good meal and Irish music. Just be aware music didn't start to eight and subway was a little empty when we headed back after eleven. No issues but glad I had daughter with me. Enjoy your stay. You'll like the Charlesmark!!!

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

Thanks for all the tips and confirmation of the Charlesmark, dbohio. I really appreciate it! Can't wait to gooooo!

19. Re: Restaurants/pubs close to Charlesmark for solo traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 02, 2015