We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help finding affordable accommodation in May

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help finding affordable accommodation in May

Hello,

We've booked flights to Boston and are looking for affordable accommodation - if possible around $200 - from 14th-20th May. We were originally planning to visit the week before, and had booked Hotel 140, but changed as the Red Sox weren't playing at Fenway that week, so cancelled it. I now realise that we've hit graduation time and there's hardly any availability and what's left is really expensive. We're flexible so will consider any decent hotel, B&B, apartment or studio for 2 adults, preferably fairly close to a T station as long as it doesn't break the bank.

Thanks for any suggestions, advice or help you can offer.

jazzy

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

The Oasis Guest House, great location, great reviews here on TA has your dates available & rooms from $149 - $209 per night

http://www.oasisgh.com/

Commonwealth Court Guest House, which also has a great location, has your dates available and the price for a queen bed with a small kitchen is $207.00 per night, before taxes. I found this price on booking.com

http://www.commonwealthcourt.com/

Reviews here on TA are mixed, but more favorable than not.

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

Wow Kendrick, that was quick! I'm sure I checked Oasis yesterday, but it was fully booked? Anyway, I'll get onto it asap.

Thanks again.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

Great! I just checked Oasis again & it is showing availability, good luck!

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

Thanks again.

If anyone else has the time to check any of those secret hotel websites, I'd also be very grateful

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

May is pricey due to increased demands for college graduation season. I did check LastMinuteTravel for you (only the "available" hotels) and the lowest decent place I see is $287. I think it's a real long shot that any of their "on request" rates would accept for May.

It's not likely that prices will drop down. In fact, they may go higher. Your dates overlap with some BIG graduations and lots of smaller ones.

I'd book either of the guest houses immediately. I have no opinion about which, but read reviews and settle on one.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

I agree, I'd definitely go with the Oasis - free wifi & breakfast.

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

Thanks Christnp2 for checking that - I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I've contacted the Oasis to find out which rooms have a private bathroom.

In the meantime I've continued my search and have found Bricco Suites and this apartment:

bnbboston.com/locations/boston/charlestown/m…

Anyone familiar with either of these or have any opinions?

Thanks.

bristol
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

ok, I've found out that the rooms with a private bathroom are in fact in Adams Bed & Breakfast. Is anyone familiar with this B&B and if so, could you please advise?

Thanks again,

jazzy

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

have you looked at the tripadvisor reviews on this web site?????????????????????????

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help finding affordable accommodation in May

I haven't heard of the Adams B&B. Reading through TA reviews, they seem okay, including some decent reviews from people with a reasonably active TA record (vs reviews from members who are never again active).

The location is reasonably convenient, and very convenient to Fenway (~15 min walk). Unless you can increase your budget, that seems like a good option. Just set your expectations to be expecting "economy" lodging.