We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

We are travelling to the east coast of the US in June/July 2014 for 4 weeks from Australia. Our plans for the "Boston part" involve catching a bus from NY to Boston on Wednesday 9th July and returning to NY on Tuesday 15th July by bus. At this stage we only intend hiring a car for the one or two days we may drive to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard (incl ferry) Other things we would like to do in Boston include: Freedom Trail, Boston Tea party Ships and Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, Mapparium, Museum of African American History. We're sure there would be many other interesting places we are not aware of and would welcome any suggestions. Just as a matter of interest, would there be any major basketball, baseball or gridiron games at that time? Would love to see a senior game. We welcome input from those in the know. All help is much appreciated.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

If you plan to take your car to the Vineyard you need to make the ferry reservation for the car now. You will avoid lots of traffic if you don't travel to the Cape on Fri or Sat and you don't travel back from the Cape on Sat or Sun. If you need to travel these days leave before 7:30 am or after 7:30 PM, except on Friday when it is best to leave between 10& 2.

As for other things do do in Boston ... consider these things:

-Visit the Jonh F Kennedy Museum

-Take a whale watch

-Visit Salem Massachusetts via train or ferry. Salem is known for maritime activities, including Early China trade, and the tragedy of the witch trials

-Visit one or more of the harbor islands ... explore the fort at George's island, have a sunset lobster dinner on Spectacle Island, or swim at Lovell' s Island

-take a walking tour of beacon hill

-ride the swan boats in the Public Garden

-Visit the Boston Public Library and Trinity Church (not related but next to each other)

-Visit Harvard University and Harvard Square

-walk down Newbury Street, stop into the shops and galleries

-check out the small museum at Massachusetts General Hospital

-tour Fenway Park -- where the Boston Red Sox play baseball

-Visit the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum

And so on,and so on

HAPPY PLANNING!

Edited: 7:04 am, February 10, 2014
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

Baseball is played in June and july

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

Thank you very very much; really appreciate the amount of time you've allocated to this! Some great ideas that I wasn't aware of. Will have a better look at your thoughts in the morning. Just going to bed now. 11.30 pm over here. Thanks again. Easy or hard to get tickets to the baseball?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

During your dates of say, there are two home baseball games on the 9th and 10th. Both are against the White Sox. Celtics ( basketball) do not play in the summer. I don't know what you mean by a gridiron game?

Another thing to do: take the commuter rail to Concord to visit the Old North Bridge and then hop on the Liberty trolley to go to Lexington and visit the Battle Green, where the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired, as well as the three historical homes open for guided tours, and Minuteman National Park, where you can walk along the Battle Road where the British marched in and then retreated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

Around here we love visitors who have done some research, made an outline that reflects their taste, and who give us enough details to allow us to really help without playing 20 questions first. You're going to be a very popular visitor to Boston, Michael.

You allows us to put on our local caps and personalize an experience for you. Forgotmypword added a walk around Beacon Hill as a suggestion. You can do that when you visit the Museum of African American History. The museum is on the Black Heritage trail walking tour.

http://www.afroammuseum.org/trail.htm

While in that area, if you do have a desire to pop in and out of interesting little shops and see a local Boston neighborhood you could swap Newbury Street (which is sadly mostly chain stores now) for Charles Street. Here the people of Beacon Hill have fought for and so far succeeded in keeping local businesses alive.

It's good to have a few places to take a break, relax, digest what you've seen, and gather your thoughts when you are in an city with so much going on around you. If it's a beautiful day, pick up a coffee or a picnic lunch and spend a half hour in the Boston Public Garden, sitting on a bench on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall, or along the River on the Charles RIver Esplanade.

The courtyard at the Boston Public Library is one of my favorite break spots and there is a small cafe where you can get a bite to eat or a beverage to enjoy at one of the tables around the courtyard. If you are near the Mapparium you might want to try one of the food trucks that park near the fountain in the Christian Science Center and watch people interact with the water as it sprays.

We do have a thriving food truck scene scattered around the city. It can be a way to grab a bite of very good food at a decent price, sit and look around and then get back on your way rather quickly. The city posts a schedule at this link.

https:/…schedule-tabs.asp

That's a start. I'm sure you'll hear from more of the local TA gang and some of our regular visitors who help our here. If you have questions, ask away and pop in to let us know if we are offering the right suggestions for you.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

I'm also heading to Boston for a 6-day trip in August with my family and have found, as you now have , that the people on here are very friendly and helpful with lots of suggestions as to what you might want to do. I can't add much to the posts above except to say that BostonZest (modestly!) neglected to mention that if you click on the bostonzest website link at the bottom of her post you will be taken to her website full of really helpful and interesting info about Boston and its happenings. I am gradually working my way through it myself.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

I'll add to the comprehensive list above:

Take a Boston Duck Tour

Take a Charles River Cruise

Walk around the South End

Go to the Museum of Science

Visit Newport, RI and some of the "Cottages" there

Take a "Ghosts and Graveyards" tour

Have dinner in the North End

Go to http://www.redsox.com to check for baseball tickets and Fenway tours.

8. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 10, 2014
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

For travel between Boston and NYC, I prefer the train (Amtrak) to bus. It's more comfortable and relaxing. It is more expensive, but booking early helps reduce the cost.

I'd reconsider whether trying to do a short 1-2 night trip to Cape Cod is really worth it. It's a great place, but not really the best "day trip" type of destination. If the Cape is high on your priorities, I'd suggest doing 3 nights in Boston and 3 on the Cape.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 6 night stay Boston in July

Forgotmypword, really appreciate your help. We arrive in Boston on Wednesday 9th July. We were thinking of hiring a car on the Thursday and Friday and making two day trips to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. Does this sound ok? How far are they both from Boston city? To break up the driving, we could do one of them on the Thursday and the other one the following Monday. But as Christnp2 has suggested, we may need to allocate more time than a day trip. We'll have to work that one out. It seems we need to keep away from the weekends. I assume this time of the year is the summer school holidays over there? So the "holiday resort" type places will be chockers? Thanks again for the many suggestions.

Bookat, Gridiron? Apologies it's what we call American Football. I wasn't aware it it's not a well-known term. Your historical suggestions are fantastic; really appreciate them. Looking forward to learning more about that time in your history.

Bostonzest, we are becoming slightly overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit shown by everyone on TA. Thank you thank you. Your suggestions and website links are invaluable, as commented on by Clare from London. Your thoughts about restful sojourns to "tucked away" little places is exactly the type of thing we like. So those suggestions are invaluable. I actually already feel an affinity with Boston; it sounds like such a lovely place.

beantownman, thank you for the input of Newport Rhode Is, something we hadn't thought of. From memory that is where they used to have the America's Cup yacht races. Is that far from Boston? We will organise tickets for a Redsox game. Can't wait. Never seen a live game of baseball in my life.

Our next major hurdle is where to stay. We have been looking on airbnb (our first time at using it as well as first time on TA; except for a few restaurant reviews in Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia) We originally thought we'd just get a private room so we could get to know the locals in their environment, but we're open to suggestions. We'd prefer to stay in the one place in Boston from the 9th July leaving the 15th July. Our thoughts are a rate of about $130 USD a night. We don't need breakfast; don't need carparking; just somewhere neat and clean to rest our weary tourist bones! Obviously somewhere within walking distance to either public transport and/or tourist spots and eateries; if all of that is possible. Thank you again to everyone who has contributed so far in making this holiday planning a real joy.