We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to New York

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
72 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak to New York

We are hoping to spend 4 nights in Boston, New York and Washington in August.

Would the best way be to travel by Amtrak between these cities?

How straightforward would it be for a non local?

Any tips really appreciated.

Thank you.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,513 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak to New York

You have your choice: Air, train or bus. All are straightforward. It's a matter of cost, time and convenience.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,989 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak to New York

4 days total in all three cities or 4 in Boston and then the others? In 4 days I would' t try to do more than 2 of those. There is lots to see in each location and sometimes the most memorable moments are unplanned.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak to New York

Are you flying into Boston? Amtrak goes to all these cities and it would make the most sense to either start in Boston and take the train down to NYC and then from there further south to Washington, or to do the reverse, if flying into Washington. To start in NYC and go up to Boston and the back track to NYC in order to go to Washington would not be the most efficient way to do it. In Boston, there are two train stations, South Station and Back Bay, so you could use whichever is closer to your hotel. I can't speak to how easy it would be for a non-local to use Amtrak; I either fly or drive everywhere and haven't used it for years. Train travel isn't as common here as it is in other countries, but it does make sense for travel between NYC and Boston without a car.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak to New York

4 nights is not a lot for all three cities, especially taking into account travel times.

If you fly from Boston to DCA. (not IAD or BWI), that's a time-saver because the Metro is right there and the flight is a little over an hour. Commuter flights leave every hour if not more frequently, starting early and going late.

Flying to NYC makes little sense because the NYC airports are about an hour out of Manhattan and as short as the flight may be, you've got time tied up in security on one end and getting into the City on the other. Taxi fare into the city can be as much as 70- . The subway is cheaper/easier and not subject to NYC traffic. Train/bus to NYC easier as they both drop you centrally.

Edited: 10:00 am, February 02, 2014
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak to New York

I'm hoping the OP meant 4 nights in each city. Otherwise, that plan would make for one crazy busy trip.

England
Level Contributor
72 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak to New York

Thank you to everybody who has replied.

Apologies for not making it clear - I did mean 4 nights in each city, 12 nights in total.

We hope to fly in to Boston (probably Aer Lingus from Shannon) and fly home from Dulles.

I do not really like flying so whereas I would have to use planes to get to and from America I would prefer to avoid internal flights. I also thought travelling by train may be an interesting experience (?)

Is it reasonably comfortable on the trains?

We have driven in America and are happy to do so but felt that as we are only staying in cities a car would be an encumberance.

Thank you again to everybody who has replied- much appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak to New York

Yes, the train is great between these cities. Nice scenery. Much more comfortable than the bus.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak to New York

I agree with Caroline. The trains will be fine for Boston to NYC and NYC to Washington. Although trains are not used as much in the US as in some countries, those routes are heavily traveled by business and leisure travelers alike. I really like train travel and find Amtrak quite comfortable. The train also gives you the advantage of arrival and departure in city centers.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak to New York

You will have a great trip! I have flown Aer Lingus a number of times from Boston to Europe and have always had a good experience. The one thing I remember about my last Amtrak trip years ago was that the food onboard was not that great, so maybe think about bringing your own and having an onboard picnic.

England
Level Contributor
72 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak to New York

Thank you. I think we will go ahead with this, it sounds as if it will be great. Arriving directly in the city centres will be a definite bonus.

We will take a picnic and sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks also for the information on Aer Lingus.

Thank you to everybody who has helped.