We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we really need restaurant reservations?

montreal
Level Contributor
739 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Do we really need restaurant reservations?

A friend of mine warned me that we would need reservations for dinner, even at midpriced restaurants. She said she walked the streets looking for a decent place to eat for 4 hours one night and finally gave up at 11pm and ate at McDonalds. We (myself, husband and 2 college aged kids) will be in Boston from the 26th to 31st of December and are looking to eat at mid-priced restaurants (Chinese, Thai, Italian, pub food, etc.) We are staying at the Sheraton near the Prudential Center. I read on a previous post that some midrange places like the Cheese cake factory don't even take reservations, so what should we expect this time of year?

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

You'd have to be extremely picky not to find something good around the Pru around dinnertime.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

Yes plenty of places no reservation required in many places.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

If a place takes reservations, it's always easier to make them. Saves you a wait. Check open table.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,890 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

If you are out on Saturday night and try to walk into any restaurant without a reservation and refuse to wait in line, you'll be walking around for hours too. Ditto, New Years Eve.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

Just use opentable.com. There is really no reason not to make reservations.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

Definitely reserve for New Year's Eve. For other nights, if you are sticking to mid range, chain type restaurants, I would probably not bother to reserve ( although you could), but would be prepared for to wait a table perhaps. If you are looking at higher end, definitely reserve all the time.

montreal
Level Contributor
739 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

Thanks for the info, I will try opentable.com . I just not keen on having to schedule to much when I am on holiday, but I guess that is better than wandering the streets! I will certainly do it for Sat. night.

Happy holidays!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

If the most important thing is to assuredly walk into any restaurant and get a table, for all but the most famous chefs, the best advice would be to turn up at 5:00 pm.

An honest question in return: Is this different than Montreal? I ask because I look forward to visiting there again. Thank you.

9. Re: Do we really need restaurant reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 28, 2014