We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay

Rothesay
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay

Visiting Boston between Christmas and New Year's, arriving the 27th and leaving the 30th. We are bringing our 18 and 20 year old daughters. There are plenty of options for hotels available at a reasonable price( by Boston standards). I am looking for recommendations on what area to stay. Considering Back Bay, Quincy Market and Theatre District but am looking for recommendations on areas and specific hotels.

We will want to visit a few historical areas, shop, access to nice places to eat dinner and nice pubs for me to explore while the rest of the family shops.

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay

Read the Top Question on the right.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay

Given the time of year and your interests, I would suggest Back Bay. It's an attractive and interesting neighborhood, lots of shopping, and it's a better place to be if weather is brutal. It's more sheltered from bitter winds than some areas right near Quincy Market. If you stay near Prudential Center/Copley Place, you can also do quite a bit indoors if weather is particularly bad, or at least minimize time spent outdoors.

The Theater District location is convenient, but the immediate neighborhood isn't quite as charming. Chances are you'd be spending little time right near your hotel and always heading off somewhere else.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay

Copley Square area would be ideal.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay

Quincy Market without a doubt.

Boston...
Level Contributor
533 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay

I'd generally recommend Quincy Market in the spring, summer and fall. The waterfront area can be really nice during those times. In colder weather it often gets very windy. Back Bay may be a safer choice if that's a consideration.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay

I would suggest Back Bay or Copley Square since there are lots of shops and restaurants there and you can hop on the Green Line and take it a couple minutes to Park St to walk the historical Freedom Trail. The fireworks are over the harbor, which would be more convenient to Quincy Market.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay

Back Bay / Copley Area!

The fireworks are on NYE and the OP is leaving on December 30th.

Quincy Market is great in the warm weather but during the winter it is better to be protected from the elements . You can stay indoors and even access to the T without going outside if you stay at the Copley Marriott or the Sheraton Boston.

Enjoy!

Rothesay
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay

Thanks for all the suggestions? We had looked at both the Sheraton and Marriott so will chose one of those? We do like to walk. How far is the walk to Quincy Market from say the Prudential Center?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay

About 40 minutes or so. Your results may vary, of course.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to Stay

There are loads of great places to walk from Back Bay and from the hotels you mentioned. You can stroll down scenic Newbury Street or Comm Ave, walk through the public garden (and on to Boston Common if you want), take a left and meander up into the Beacon Hill neighborhood (one of my favorite places to explore). All of this is on the way to Quincy Market.

Boston is really quite compact and a great walking city. If weather is tolerable, walking is what you will want to be doing. If weather is brutal, you can hop on the Green Line T to Government Center and get to Quincy Market, if that's where you want to go.

I don't think it's super important to be at one of the hotels literally attached to Copley Place or Prudential Center (the two are attached to each other), but having that nearby is a good backup plan for ... I'll say it again... brutal weather :-) Newbury Street is also a good BR spot. You can duck in and out of shops, bars and restaurants without walking a great distance being pelted with bitter wind driven freezing sleet ;-)