We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

I posted earlier on this topic but now have a bit more info.

We plan on flying in on the 19th and do not want to rent a car.

My daughter has residency interviews at Boston Children's Hospital on January 21. We were hoping to arrive the Saturday prior and see a bit of the city.

DD wants to be as near the hospital as possible on the night of the 20th and is willing to change hotels if needed. I plan on visiting the MFA and maybe the Gardner while she is interviewing.

On the previous days (18-20) we plan on seeing the typical tourist sights. I still can't decide if we should stay nearer the tourist area for the first two nights.

Our hotel budget is in the $150-200/night range. Is this possible during MLK weekend? I'm pretty good with Hotwire, can anyone recommend which area to look in?

We're also looking forward to trying some of the local eats-suggestions?

Thanks and HELP!

Edited: 9:48 am, December 13, 2013
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

There is a hotel associated with Children's Hospital, the Inn at Longwood. They may have a special rate for people doing business with Children's?

http://www.innatlongwood.com/

In addition, two other options which are close to the hospital are the Brookline Holiday Inn on Beacon St. and the Marriott Residence Inn-Fenway. There's also the Hotel Buckminster in Kenmore Sq.

marriott.com/hotels/…

ihg.com/holidayinn/…hoteldetail

http://www.bostonhotelbuckminster.com/

You are lucky that winter is slow season here, so I think you should be able to find something in that price range, although not necessarily very close by the hospital. But that really isn't necessary as long as you are near the Green Line.

If you want to bid on Hotwire or Priceline, and use the Back Bay neighborhood, you might snatch a deal as well.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,457 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

Great advice from Beantownman I can certainly sympathize with your daughter's desire to be near the hospital .... But there just are not a ton of hotels in that area. Since you have time before the interview, I urge you to do a "dry run" as soon as you arrive. Take the train to the hospital, find where she needs to go and so on. Just to make both of you feel good about.

Maine
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

For the night before her interview I will second the Inn at Longwood. It's super convenient to Children's, we stayed there when my daughter had surgery. I would stay elsewhere for the other days of your trip though. There's not much around the hotel to see besides the hospitals. Very limited in your dining options in this area also. They give special rates for patients/families, but not sure about interviewees. If you go to Last Minute Travel and join the club (there are codes floating around which give free membership), they have the Inn at Longwood for $117 for that day, much less than on the Longwood website. What's nice about joining the LMT club is it gives you the names of the hotels instead of just guessing from descriptions.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

The Inn at Longwood would be ideal for being right next to Children's Hospital. It's not a bad location for one day either. There is a decent food court in the attached atrium, you can walk around Harvard Med School campus, walk over to the museums (or hop on the T). I just checked their website and they are right within budget, even for their regular rate. They list the Children's rate right on their website too, and it's $179 for a room with two queen beds.

While Kenmore Square hotels aren't that far, they aren't that close either. Public transportation over to the hospitals is actually less convenient than staying in Back Bay. She'd have to walk or take a bus. Bad weather is possible. I'd be concerned that the Buckminster might not be quiet enough for a good night's sleep. It's hard to predict.

Stay at the Longwood in for that one night. For your other two nights, stay someone in Central Boston. Back Bay is a good option during winter because it's a bit more sheltered than staying right at the water, and there are concentrated things to do in the event of terrible weather (you won't HAVE to traipse all over the place if you don't want to)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

The only hotel that is close enough to walk to Children's is the previously mentioned Inn at Longwood. Some others are a longer walk which is doable but perhaps not pleasant if the weather is not great. And that's a possibility in January.

I would stay in the Copley/Back Bay/Prudential Center area all three nights and your daughter can take a taxi to the hospital the morning of the interview.

Boston is compact. I'm not familiar with Hotwire areas but lastminutetravel is another good option for Boston. We can usually identify the mystery hotels.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

LastMinuteTravel.com is a particularly good site for Boston hotels. Lots of good hotels list with them. Pay attention mostly to the "available" rates. "on request" can be a long shot. Hotels are usually easily identified.

For the first part of your weekend, you could stay at Marriott Copley Place for $105. It's the 3.5 star Back Bay hotel with 1147 guestrooms. Look closely at photos and you'll see the Marriott logo over a lobby bar. I think there is a good chance you will be able to get a room with two beds rather than having to share. No guarantees of course.

The hotel is in a good Back Bay area and will be especially convenient if weather is brutal. It's attached to the Copley Place and Prudential complex. If weather is bearable, there is lots of pleasant strolling nearby (e.g. Newbury Street) and it's a pleasant walk to other neighborhoods (Boston Common, Beacon Hill, etc). Convenient to the T also.

Other good options, the Back Bay Hilton (4 star, 390 guestrooms) for $119,

The 4.5 star Theater District hotel is the Hyatt Regency. I stayed there a long time ago when it was Swissotel. Very nice hotel but the immediate neighborhood is not quite as pleasant and just a tad isolated feeling at night. Fewer other pedestrians strolling around and you're more likely to come across vagrants.

Steer clear of the 3.5* Back Bay for $87 It's the Park Plaza which is a beautiful old hotel, but they have some tiny, stuffy and overheated rooms in dire need of updating and that may be what you get.

I'd go with the Hilton or the Marriott. I like the Marriott location just a tad more than Hilton (they are very near each other). Hilton will probably have nicer rooms.

OK --- after all that, it occurred to me that even regular published rates may be extremely low. My favorite Back Bay hotel is The Lenox. I went to their website and, yep, it's rock bottom low. A superior double double for $183. It's a lovely boutique hotel. That's my ultimate rec for a lovely pre-interview weekend.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

The distance between anywhere a tourist would desire and the hospital is not great in terms of cab rides. I would stay where ever you want with regard to the rest of the trip and convince your daughter to take a cab to the interview. The cost will be an insignificant portion of total expense of the trip.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

Thank you so much for the info! We'll definitely look into the Inn at Longwood. She'll have a dinner and social thing with the residents the evening before her interview and wants to be nearby that night since she'll be alone and it may be late. She's stayed near the hospitals for her other interviews. It's important to her and I want to respect that. The interview is, by far, the most important part of the trip.

I think we'll stay in Back Bay for the first nights then cab it over near the hospital for the last night or two.

We're not used to getting around in winter weather AT ALL!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

Do you have coats, winter footwear, etc? Hard to get around without proper clothing.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for Boston Children's Hospital and Seeing the Sights

Yes, we tend to travel to Europe in the winter when it's cheaper!