We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Hi,

We are visiting Boston and are staying in the city up to 5th July, then would like to travel for 5 days.

We would like to see the White Mountains and also Cape Cod in MA. But we don't want to be driving one way and then have to turn around and drive back past Boston to the other area.

So what other areas are nice that we could stay in for a night or so down around Cape Cod and also then up around the White Mountains?

Thanks

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from $89.10*
$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,007 reviews
from $41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from $55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
636 reviews
from $76.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

I cannot think of any logical way to avoid getting from the Cape to the White Mountains (or vice versa) without driving by Boston again. Boston is on the coast, the Cape is on the coast.

You drive directly to the white mountains (Lincoln, Woodstock, Jackson, North Conway) are all decent towns to stay in. Then drive to the Cape, stopping for one night in Lexington or Concord MA or something like that .... but those downs are only slightly north west of Boston ... but they have lots of history and a some things to see, so it could be interesting.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,455 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

The 4th of July is a big vacation holiday time and it's on a Friday this coming year. Many places in the mountains, coastal areas and Cape Cod will be booked well in advance and have minimum stay requirements that weekend.

It might be possible to take a day trip up north and enjoy the White Mountains on Saturday, then drive back down towards Cape Cod and stay on a highway motel that night. Drive to Cape Cod early Sunday morning to stay in an in or hotel for the duration of your trip (book in advance). It's that Saturday Night that will be hardest for accommodations, but basic roadside business hotels should not be a problem. They aren't near vacation destinations.

Try not to plan any substantial driving on Sunday July 6 (except perhaps early morning). Traffic will be bad as many people are on the roads returning from the holiday weekend.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Ok thanks, hadn't thought of that. We could stay in Boston until Monday and then travel, that may be better. We fly out of Boston the following Saturday so just want to get a few days around the surrounding areas before going home.

What would you suggest if we left Boston on the Monday morning?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Lucky you to be visiting Boston during the 4th of July holiday! The Mr. & I had a great time last year during the same time period.

Happy planning! For me it's almost as fun as the trip itself!! :D

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Don't really understand the question. If you want to see Both the Cape and White Mts, you'll have to reverse direction. You can take a more inland route, but really, the best way is back through the city. You could do the Cape and the Berkshires, but if you want to see the White Mts....it's not the same. Conversely, you could do the Maine coast instead of the Cape....not the same, but seaside charm...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,455 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

I think staying in Boston until Monday is a fine idea. Think about whether you REALLY want to do both the white mountains and Cape Cod, or just do the Cape. There is so much to do and see there. It's common for people to vacation there for an entire week.

Another option could be to drop the Cape, and head north for the White Mountains and northern coastal areas. They are beautiful and quite different from Cape Cod.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Now if you really want to see the White Mtns and also visit the Cape, without traffic it's 244 miles and about 4 hrs from Lincoln NH (White Mtns) to Provincetown (which is all the way at the tip of the Cape). More like 200 miles and 3.25 hrs from Hyannis which is more central on the Cape.

You can see most of the Whites in 2 days. Of course, you can spend a week of more if you want and keep plenty busy!

If you are looking for a nice beach vacation, then the Cape is great.

If you want mountains and nice clean/cold mountain streams for swimming, it's the White Mtns.

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

How about skipping Cape Cod and spending time in the Gloucester/Cape Ann area on your way north from Boston?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

This last suggestion from mrmisrule is a good one. I love the Cape, but you'd get a lot of the same kind of feeling (lovely harbors, art galleries, fried clams, quaint old wooden houses) just heading to the coast north of Boston. Last summer I spent an evening in Gloucester just walking around the area with all the art galleries then going to dinner. it was so beautiful that I thought, why don't I take a week's vacation here instead of fighting to get to Cape Cod? The whole area is charming and has a lot to see - Rockport, Marblehead, Manchester, Newburyport. That would save you time. You could do a couple of nights in one of these towns, then head to the White Mountains.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Surrounding Area Road Trip

Ok, so I've been thinking. Would it be better to just base ourselves in Boston and head around the White Mountains for day trips. Or would we be better to stay up there for a night or two? Those places you mention, Maxie Lou look amazing.