We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion on location

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion on location

Hi, I posted a couple of months back about a trip next year for our family of five and was advised that when I had a property in mind (as a vacation rental) to post the location and you would be able to advise if it was a good one. Unfortunately my husband then developed a medical problem so I had to put booking on hold but now we're set to go again.

I have found a suitable rental in Brookline and it gives the address as Winthrop Road - bearing in mind we will be using public transportation would this be a good place to be?

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Opinion on location

Your geography is a little off. Cambridge is very close, but some parts are near the T (Red or Green Lines) and some parts are not. So you'll have to ask about specific areas or streets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Opinion on location

Carolina Ave. in Jamaica Plain is a good location. You can walk to Green St. Station on the Orange Line, or in the other direction, take the #39 bus that goes to Copley Square. JP has a lot of restaurants and there is a small co-op grocery store, Harvest, right on Centre St. near Carolina Ave. It's within walking distance to a lot of green space--the Arnold Arboretum and Jamaica Pond--nice for walking or running.

I wouldn't be concerned about parking on the street, as long as you remember not to leave anything of value in the car.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Opinion on location

I'd choose the Brookline location over the others you mentioned, though depending on where the one in Cambridge is, that might be more convenient. Cambridge has some attractions of it's own, so depending the location, that might be a great spot.

If you do stay in Brookline and have any beer drinkers among you, definitely visit the Publick House. It's close to where you'd be staying, has a great atmosphere, very good (and reasonably priced) food, and great beer selection. And if you want a quick, real inexpensive bite to eat, go to Anna's Taqueria has great burritos and Rod Dee has good Thai food. Both are on Beacon Street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Opinion on location

Thank you everyone - we have now gone for the one in Carolina Avenue as the one in Brookline was not available and I couldn't find any others that exactly met our needs. I have loads of other questions but will post as separate topics over the next few months.

Thanks again to everyone that took the trouble to reply.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Opinion on location

Enjoy! And if you are into beer, you've got a couple of great places to go nearby: The Sam Adams Brewery, Doyle's Cafe (one of Boston's most historic pubs), and Canary Square (a relatively new place with great food and an awesome beer list).

26. Re: Opinion on location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 20, 2014