We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

We did this in 2010 --- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k376759…

But ... things change, menus change, restaurants close, restaurants open. .... so let's do it again.

If you live locally or have visited eastern Massachusetts please list some of your favorite foods and tell us where to get it. Restaurants, bakeries, bars, corner stores ... all are fair game. Any thing you can legally purchase and safely consume is good. Please keep it within 100 miles of Boston.

Edited: 2:00 pm, December 07, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Taking my cue from Remay, I went back to my post in the old thread and will update my faves:

Cider from Brooksby Farm in Peabody. I always get a cup of their hot, mulled cider while I'm in the shop, too.

Mocha chip ice cream from Cherry Farm Creamery in Danvers.

Lobsters steamed to order at Cherry Street Fish Market in Danvers or Rowand's in Beverly.

Any bread from Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline; Paris Night and New England Night are my favorites.

Onion, sesame, and everything bagels from Kupel's Bakery in Brookline.

Anything at Siam Delight in Beverly.

Silver Queen corn from any farm stand in the Newburyport area. I hope this one is still true as I missed out this year.

Mentioned in this post
Brooksby Farm
Brooksby Farm
81 Reviews
Peabody, MA
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Flour Bakery & Cafe
Flour Bakery & Cafe
694 Reviews
Boston, MA
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

2 more: the nutty feta dip with pistachios, and the pistachio baklava at Sevan Bakery in Watertown - both highly addictive.

NJ
Level Contributor
496 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Okay, simple, but a MUST each year we come to Boston: Pizzeria Regina (North End location) only.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Regina Pizzeria
Regina Pizzeria
2,318 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,278 Reviews
Boston, MA
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,683 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Well today was my first ever day in Boston and this is what I ate that I can recommend:

- coffee at The Thinking Cup on Tremont St. I also had a croissant but the coffee was the star. It's much like the coffee I am used to at home.

- NE clam chowder in a bread roll. This was from Faneuil Hall Marketplace which despite bring very touristy had some great clam chowder.

- hot buttered lobster roll and chips from Neptune Oyster in the North End. The lobster was delicious but Iwasn't real keen on the roll. It was just like a hot dog roll to me. The chips were good.

- cannoli from Mike's Pastry. I haven't actually eaten these yet, I'm waiting a little while but based on the Italian accents I heard in the store I'm sure they will be good. I bought 2 that a local Italian had also bought, an Amaretto plus a Pecan (I think, can't recall exactly, it was some kind of nut).

By the way your city is beautiful and I loved the dusting of snow today.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Thinking Cup
Thinking Cup
560 Reviews
Boston, MA
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
6,609 Reviews
Boston, MA
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,710 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,278 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mike's Pastry
Mike's Pastry
7,567 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Great topic! We are just finishing our first year here, so I'll list some of my favorites that I've encountered over the year.

Favorite donut - the Heavenly Special from Heavenly Donuts (North Reading and other North Shore and NH locations)

Favorite ice cream - the apple crisp ice cream (or anything else!) from Richardson's in Middleton

Favorite Chinese buffet - Mandarin, Reading

Favorite lobster roll - the hot roll with butter from Neptune Oyster in Boston (worth the wait)

Favorite fried seafood - Lobster Claw, North Reading

Favorite cocktail - the Diablo Margarita (pineapple, blood orange, serrano chili) from Red Lulu in Salem

Favorite sandwich - the cuban or the crab cake BLT from Maggie's Farm in Middleton (the fries are yummy, too)

Favorite BBQ - Tennessee's in Peabody

Favorite Dim Sum - New China Pearl in Woburn

Favorite oyster bar - Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston

Favorite pastry - the lobster tail from Mike's or Modern in the North End

Mentioned in this post
Reading
Reading
Pennsylvania
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,710 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Island Creek Oyster Bar
Island Creek Oyster Bar
1,845 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,278 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Thanks everybody ... and a SPECIAL thanks to Remay for suggesting this be revised. I fogot to mention that when I started the thread.

Similians for Thai ... love it and they deliver to my office. We put together a pretty big order about once a month.

Richardson's ice cream :D --- it is one of the few places around that makes a REAL ice cream soda. (Not a float!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,683 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

I also had a nice casual meal at JM Curley not far from the Opera House as a pre Nutcracker meal. It's a casual place that gets pretty loud and fills up quickly.

I can also recommend Finale for dessert after a show. The Hot Toddy Hot Chocolate "Cloud Nine" was delicious as was the Boston Cream dessert. Lots of other desserts and hot drinks as well as wine.

Mentioned in this post
jm Curley
jm Curley
152 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

I liked rethcir's format and suggestions, so I'm adding on:

Best Restaurant, Indian: India Quality, Kenmore - India Quality is great. I'd also vote for Punjabi Dhaba in Inman Square. It's no frills, but great, authentic food.

Best Restaurant, Thai: Similans, East Cambridge. Never been here. My vote goes to Brown Sugar Cafe in the Fenway

Best Oysters: Citizen Public House, Fenway This place is great. So is Island Creek in Kenmore

Best Overall Restaurant: Highland Kitchen, Somerville Good food for a decent price. In the same price range, I prefer Franklin Cafe in the South End. But best restaurant? No. 9 Park. Just make reservations and be prepared to spend an arm and a leg.

Best Beer Bar: Cambridge Brewing Co, Cambridge Excellent Choice! Also deserving mention are: Lord Hobo (Cambridge), The Publick House (Brookline), Stoddards (financial district) and the Lower Depths (Kenmore)

Best Sports Bar: Jerry Remy's Waterfront Impressive TV display, but I much prefer the Jerry Remy's by Fenway.

Best Roof Deck: Atlantic Beer Garden, Waterfront Jerry Remy's by Fenway gets my vote here too.

Best Fenway Bar Experience: Bleacher Bar Can I vote for Jerry Remy's again? The Bleacher Bar is not to be missed.

Best TD Garden Bar Experience: The Fours Agreed!

Best Dive: An Tain's, Fanueil/Financial District So many options here, but no argument from me.

Best Brewery Tour: New England Brewery Tours

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Brown Sugar Cafe
Brown Sugar Cafe
164 Reviews
Boston, MA
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,264 Reviews
Boston, MA
Highland Kitchen
Highland Kitchen
237 Reviews
Somerville, MA
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Bleacher Bar
Bleacher Bar
352 Reviews
Boston, MA
TD Garden
TD Garden
1,134 Reviews
Boston, MA
New England
New England
United States
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

"Best Restaurant, Thai: Similans, East Cambridge. Never been here. My vote goes to Brown Sugar Cafe in the Fenway"

The two restaurants are owned by the same people and are very similar.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Brown Sugar Cafe
Brown Sugar Cafe
164 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 2013: food favorites -- informative and fun

Thanks RamblinDan - I'll have to check it out (especially since it's alot closer to home than Brown Sugar)!