We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

It's probably not too soon to bring this up for trip planners...

The Callahan Tunnel will be completely closed for reconstruction during this period. It's the eastbound one-way tunnel from I-93 and downtown to East Boston and Logan Airport. (The Sumner Tunnel is the westbound one-way harbor tunnel to downtown and I-93. There are no plans for it to close in the foreseeable future.) Here are a couple of reports...

…wn.com/view/…video

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/11/callahan-tunnel-closing-for-three-months.html?utm_source=November+18+2013&utm_campaign=11.18.13+BID+E-Letter&utm_medium=email&page=all

The Ted Williams tunnel has become an excellent alternative, at least under most current loads. It's already the preferred route to the airport from the I-90 Massachusetts Turnpike and points south of Boston. Unless southbound I-93 is terribly backed up, it should just add a few minutes to a trip from the north side of Boston to the airport (and to East Boston and Route 1A).

While there are surface options for people coming down US 1 from the northeast to get to the airport, visitors probably will want to stick to the highway system.

All this said, I have a question that visitors might also have: How well does GPS usually adapt to suchlike? My only experience is in rental cars, but this is the likely tool that many visitors might depend on.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Drove to Logan early this morning. There is no doubt more traffic in the Ted. The biggest problem was the back up at the arrival/departure split. Even if coming in from the south, allow more time.

Mentioned in this post
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

@CrossFitBoston: Wonder if it could be aggravated by the holiday travel/weather situation playing out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Yes, the weather affects everything.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
36 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

With GPS, if it's not updated to traffic (like Google Maps would be), then it would try and get you to the tunnel. I know that the DPW put up an additional 20-30 signs for people, so like in a GPS...pass by the tunnel exit following the DPW sign and you will be rerouted easily enough. There's only three ways to the airport, Callahan, TWT and Route 1A.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

I drove into work this morning. (Which is rare. I usually take the T.) Anyway, when I got to the entrance to 93 south from Storrow Dr, it was totally backed up. Luckily, I saw the back-up in time and was able to take surface streets, but I'm guessing people still haven't figured this out yet.

Fortunately, my next flight out of BOS is not until late March and on a Saturday, so things should move better then.

Mentioned in this post
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,137 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Rte 16, even on Saturday is dotted with police details, both local & state working to prevent gridlock. For the first week or so, signage was pretty poor, but it is better now.

also ... Probably having more to do with crazy weather temp extremes than increased traffic: there are major potholes opening up on 16. Avoid the right lane on 16e as you head down hill to Webster ave (or is it street?) and Russo's tux. It is so bad that there is REBAR sticking up from one of the many potholes. It has flat tire written all over it!!

Edited: 11:11 am, January 13, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

I was stuck in traffic in the Ted Williams Tunnel last night---Sunday night at 6:30pm, coming from the South.

Normally it's a breeze at that hour on a Sunday. I ended up exiting in Southie, getting back on at the Convention Ctr and still getting caught in more traffic. Horrible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Bypass is the haul road.

:)

-Dot Rat.

Edited: 7:49 pm, January 13, 2014
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

The Callahan could actually open this week.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Callahan (harbor) tunnel closure 12/27/13 to 3/14/14

Days early, maybe.