We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commonwealth Avenue Mall

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
2 posts
Save Topic
Commonwealth Avenue Mall

I've heard that Commonwealth Ave. has the trees lit up at night and is pretty to walk through, are the trees lit up year around?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

It's a must see when in Boston. The lights have been on anytime i have been there.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

Some interesting information about Comm. Ave. mall can be found on the friends of the public garden website.

Colorado Springs...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

Perfect! Thank you for your replies, and that website is fantastic as well! Thanks!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

The lights are up pretty much just from about now until March, when the nights are long. It makes all the difference.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

I don't know if the money has been raised to light the trees this year. So far there is no sign of work on the trees. By now they usually have the crews out putting the electric supplies in place. I understand it cost more than $80,000. a year to buy the lights from China, hire the crews to put them up, another crew to cut them off and dispose of them. I don't know who pays for the electric bill.

This is a private project not part of the tiny city parks budget.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

I don't doubt you, but it's surprising. There's definitely a safety aspect to it.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

There are many statues and memorials along the mall. At Commonwealth and Dartmouth there's a memorial for the 9 firefighters killed in the Hotel Vendome fire in 1972. My father was one of them. It is a very moving and beautifully designed memorial. It took 25 years for it to be built over the objections of a very few Back Bay residents. The struggle to build it, and the memorial itself, speak to Boston's working class v. "Brahmin" culture.

There's also a wonderful monument to heroes of the struggle for women's rights in Boston. It's a wonderful walk to take from the Public Garden as far as your feet want to take you.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

There's no sign of the lights yet, but I think they've come later in the season. Hopefully! I also didn't see the swans today in the Public Garden, so unless they were hiding from me, it looks like they're gone for the winter.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

>> At Commonwealth and Dartmouth there's a memorial for the 9 firefighters killed in the Hotel Vendome fire in 1972. My father was one of them.

AnnieMagee, bless him and his brothers, and you and their families.

Edited: 8:28 am, November 08, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commonwealth Avenue Mall

Yesterday I saw the crew working on lights on the Boston Common, but I did not go through the Public Garden or Comm Ave. And maybe some of these are separate projects, as someone said above (privately funded). But I think things are beginning.

Where do they put the swans (the real ones vs the swan boats) for the winter?