We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your fave tourist spots!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Your fave tourist spots!

Hi all!

I've been to Boston so many times I've lost count, so I've seen probably everything there is to see tourist-wise.

I'm heading back to the Beantown area between after Christmas with a friend who has never been to the city - so what I'm looking for are your fave spots to recommend to visitors! Then i can give her a list and she can pick what she'd like to see. :)

We're going to be in town for NYE (the whole road trip idea started because she wanted to see an NBA game in person and I've got tons of friends we can stay with in the area) - we're hoping to get tix for the NYE Celtics afternoon game. :) Other things that I'm definitely showing her include Fanuiel Hall (a personal fave spot of mine!) and the Harvard campus.

Also - does anyone know how long the city keeps up the Christmas tree in the Common for after Christmas? In all my trips to Boston, I have yet to see the tree - and being from Halifax, the tree has always held a special place in my heart because of the connection between our cities, so I'd love to see it in person! :)

Thanks for any info y'all can give me - and lets hear all your fave Boston tourist spots! :)

~ martinigoddess

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Halifax
Halifax
Massachusetts
Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

My guess would be that TA's things to do in Boston would cover people's favorite places to recommend to visitors. Are you looking for something specific?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

My favorite place is Boston Beer Works - across from Fenway! Also - enjoy strolling down Newbury Street and the North End! Have a great trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

The old state house

Faneuil hall

The north end, Paul revere's house

Boston common

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

To be honest, in my opinion, the city itself is the best tourist spot. That means walking around the neighborhoods, and seeing the city. The Freedom Trail, walking around Beacon Hill, the South End, the Back Bay.

Every city has museums, shopping, etc. But only Boston has Commonwealth Avenue and the Paul Revere House...

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,289 Reviews
Boston, MA
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Paul Revere House
The Paul Revere House
1,100 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,091 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

The tree is still up and lit on New Year's Eve.

The observation "deck" at the Prudential can be fun on a clear day.

A walk down Charles Street is interesting if you like Antiques .... and I love walks down both Comm Ave and Marlborough Street between Arlington and Hereford, but for a first timer, these probably would not be top priorities.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Street
Charles Street
90 Reviews
Boston, MA
Arlington
Arlington
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

The Bruins play New Years Eve too at 7:00pm. That'll be more fun than the Celtics day game, IMO. But of course the problem would be it might cut into other NYE night celebration plans.

The only thing unique to that season that a frequent visitor may not know about already that comes to mind is the skating rink on the Common. It can get over crowded but is still pretty fun if you like to skate.

Boston area
Level Contributor
73 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

I love the Museum of Fine Arts. The building itself is stunning especially since the new wing was completed. There is usually a good mix of temporary exhibits and of course there are 2 nice restaurants to choose from. It's very easy to get there by the Green Line.

http://www.mfa.org

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

I like to take folks to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum & the Mapparium.

Mentioned in this post
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Isabella Stewart Gardner...
2,510 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Mapparium
The Mapparium
713 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

*The rare book selection, the Mckim Bulding & the courtyard in the Boston Public Library.

*A drink in the evening and a bowl of clam chowder listening to jazz while enjoying the fabolous view of the city at the Top Of The Hub.

*A walk down Charles Street and a drink at the Liberty Hotel.

*Going to the top of the Custom House.

*A walk thru the The ICA on Thursday night (free is always my fave) followed by a Boston Harbor Walk around Fan Pier to Rose Wharf to Long Wharf. - Boston Harbor Hotel is another FAVE but it is most enjoyed on a warm summer night listening to the outdoor concerts.

*Walking the Rose Kennedy Greenway, sitting down in a cafe in the North End for a delicious pastry.

*A evening stroll thru the Boston Common watching the ice skaters and enjoying the Christmas lights and the Christmas Tree - the wonderful gift from our Halifax & Nova Scotia friends!  (I try to go the Christmas Tree lighting every year - another favorite!

- Boston Common Holiday Lighting this year - Thursday, December 5, 6pm-8pm (date is still being confirmed).

( Started singing this while I was replying .......

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

These are a few of my favorite things" )

Enjoy!

Edited: 9:30 am, November 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Charles Street
Charles Street
90 Reviews
Boston, MA
Fan Pier
Fan Pier
33 Reviews
Boston, MA
Long Wharf, Boston
Long Wharf, Boston
69 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,017 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your fave tourist spots!

It should be Fan Pier to Rowes Wharf (not Rose Wharf - gotta love autocorrect) to Long Wharf.

Mentioned in this post
Fan Pier
Fan Pier
33 Reviews
Boston, MA
Long Wharf, Boston
Long Wharf, Boston
69 Reviews
Boston, MA