We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston and Maine

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Boston and Maine

Please see my rough plan for my trip to Boston and Maine: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Should we go to Nantucket or just tour around on Cape Cod? We will have a car. Also, any good and reasonable priced restaurant options would be great.

Saturday, November 2nd

• Arrive in Boston 2:40 PM

• 4 pm Fenway Park Tour -

• Dinner?

Sunday, November 3rd

• Walk around Harvard? May switch with FENWAY?

• Freedom Trail Walking Tour

• USS Constitution (closes at 4pm)

• John F K Museum 9AM-5PM last introductory film is at 3:50

o

Monday, November 4th

• Leave Hotel by 7:00 Drive to Cape Cod (1 ½ hour to get to Hyannis from hotel)

• Board Nantucket High Speed Boat Depart Hyannis at 9:10 am (boat ride is an hour)

• ARA tour? $25/person at 10:30

• Depart Nantucket at 2:25 or 5:35

• Drive around cap cod (stop in sandwich and walk canal)

• Stop By Plymouth rock on way back to boston?

Maine

Tuesday, November 5th

• Leave Boston at 8 am

• Head to Cliff Walk – Get off route 1 and get on coastal route 1A . stop in York Harbor area park and walk the cliff walk (takes an hour to do the walk )

• Stop at the Nubble Lighthouse Sohier Park Road, York, ME

• Kennebunkport – Dock Square

• Lunch?

• Ogunquit – Check in at Beachmere Inn (call to see if we can check in early)

• Marginal Way walk to Perkins Cove (3.5 mile round trip) Cute shops and restaruants in Perkins Cover

Wednesday, November 6th

• Cape Elizabeth-Portland Head Light Lighthouse

• Casco Bay Lines ferry ride to PEAKs Island

• Late afternoon stroll through Portland Old Port District

• Freeport (LL Bean)

• Lunch?

Thursday, November 7th

• Open?

Head to the Boston Airport at 2pm

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston and Maine

In my opinion, cape cod is not a day trip. I definitely wouldn't spend time to go to Nantucket for one day (not even) in November. Most likely it'll be cold. That's my personal opinion. I'd spend that time in Boston. As for dinner the first night, do you want to go some where around fenway or travel for dinner?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston and Maine

The mind boggles. Although I am generally a fan of blitz travel, your suggested itinerary is physically impossible. Forget Cape Cod. Forget Nantucket. Forget Maine.

What are the three things you really want to do? Fenway, Harvard, LL Beans? We can fashion an itinerary.

Edited: 9:21 pm, October 25, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston and Maine

All snark aside, you haven't factored in two major things. First is Boston Traffic. On a weekday rush hour is from 6:30 to 9:30 or 10 in the morning and from 4 to 6:30 or 7 in the evening. The second is that Daylight Savings Time ends on Sunday so it will be getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon.

I'd re-examine your itinerary and try to group things by physical location, keeping in mind that you'll want to wrap up the outside sightseeing by 4:00 or so. And that it's much easier to use public transportation on Boston to avoid wasting precious daylight sitting in traffic.

I would also suggest skipping Nantucket. You'll never make a 9:10 ferry from Hyannis if you don't leave Boston until 7. You can do a day trip to the Cape, but it is jamming a lot in to a single day.

Edited: 10:09 pm, October 25, 2013
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston and Maine

I wouldn't skip Maine. :-) I also don't think you need to worry about early check-in in Ogunquit on a Tuesday in November. If you keep your route York to Kennebunkport to Ogunquit, I would jump on the turnpike for your way up to K'port, then take routes 9 and 1 back to Ogunquit.

Lunch suggestions in Dock Square: Hurricane, Alisson's, David's (The Boathouse):

http://new.hurricanerestaurant.com/about-us

http://www.alissons.com/

http://boathouseme.com/dining/

I think I would decide your proposed ferry trip to Peaks based on weather. To be honest, I might leave that out with everything else you have in that day.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,719 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston and Maine

I also agree with dropping the Cape and Nantucket its better to do that trip in the summer i would spend a extra day in Boston.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston and Maine

We are open to travel for dinner.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston and Maine

LL Bean is open 24/7, so you could drive up from Boston in the middle of the night, buy some shoes or whatever and return to Boston for breakfast.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston and Maine

If one is well-off, are there still flights to Nantucket? I'm serious.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,758 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston and Maine

They don't check your income levels. You can pretend you're wealthy and call Cape Air. Sometimes I'm serious too.

Edited: 7:22 pm, October 28, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston and Maine

There's little chance you 'll land at 2:40 and make a 4pm Fenway Tour. Are you checking into a hotel?

I personally love Nantiucket in November, because it's empty and poetic. Not everyone feels this way. If you expect it to be fun and touristy the way it is in July, that's probably not a good destination. I like the Cape during the off-season too, but it's too cold to do a lot of what makes the Cape a popular destination. Walks on the beach are cold and bracing. Many shops are closed.

There are flights to Nantucket every day. The planes are a little bigger than your average pigeon. Not outrageously expensive, but driving and the ferry is cheaper by about 70- last I checked,

If you really want to see both the Cape and Maine you can do this. It's a lot into a little time. If you really need to see the LLBean flagship store, it is a cool store, kind of a yuppie Cabellas--or at least that's what my friends from midwest call it. It's a long drive from Boston to get there.

Figure it being cold enough to warrant at least a thin puffy coat or heavy Northface fleece. If it rains, it's a cold rain in November.

Edited: 7:41 am, October 29, 2013