We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

NJ
Level Contributor
918 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Once I get the hotel situation straightened out, here's the basic plan. Let me know if this will work or is too ambitious / not ambitious enough.

Friday -- Drive up from NJ

Go to JFK library

check in to hotel

find Cheers -- have 1 drink & take some photos

wander through Boston Common

find a good "local" place to have dinner Any suggestions?

find some place to get hubby a nice pint of Guiness or two; if it has a decent selection of wine by the glass all the better; possibly explore the Black Rose

Saturday

Sam Adams brewery tour

USS Constitution

generalized wandering / shopping

dinner some place fabulous. I was thinking L'Espalier if I can get a reservation

Sunday

Irish Heritage / Freedom Trail / Paul Revere's house -- obviously not all of each one

The Old North Church &/or the old State House

make husband happy & hit up a comedy club-- any suggestions? I guess I just have to see who's playing

Monday

Quincy Market or Harvard Coop

head home

Somewhere in there we'd like to visit John Hancock Tower. We have been to the tallest building in many cities & want to keep up the tradition. I'm thinking Friday in case it's not open over the holiday weekend. What do you think is best?

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,292 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,844 Reviews
Boston, MA
John Hancock Tower
John Hancock Tower
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
I AM Books
Gift & Specialty Shops
Russian Dolls
Gift & Specialty Shops
Old Japan
Gift & Specialty Shops
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Paul revere's house, old north church, and old state house are on the freedom trail. I don't know much about the Irish heritage trail other than I saw an advertisement in the airport baggage claim area.

According to the website it is very spread out but some sites are downtown including some along the Freedom Trail such as the USS Constitution & Bunker Hill Monument. The trail is not marked with a line on the sidewalk like the freedom trail.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,292 Reviews
Boston, MA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Quick comments:

The Cheers bar is about as far from Boston "feel" as you can get. It's a tourist trap. Doesn't look like the show. Doesn't feel like the show because it's no longer a neighborhood bar. The Norms of the world go elsewhere. If you want to take a peek, it's right by the Public Garden, so it's a good location for popping in. I've been in there once with out of town friend and haven't been back.

Harvard Coop (Square, Yard, etc.) and Faneuil Hall are both really fabulous places to visit. I'd never thought of them as interchangeable. Totally different vibes and flavors. You're more off-the-beaten-path in Harvard Square. Faneuil Hall has lots of history but is mostly associated (in my opinion) with the shops and bars there. Tourist magnet but with good reason. Lots of cool stuff and places to eat and drink.

No idea about the Irish heritage trail. My relatives must be on it somewhere, lol.

The Black Rose is nice. Touristy, but nice. Kinsale near Government Center is also nice. There's a pub at North Station I haven't been to in ages, the Harp...that's another possibility for a pint

Mentioned in this post
The Kinsale
The Kinsale
125 Reviews
Boston, MA
Government Center
Government Center
17 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Harp
The Harp
98 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Sounds like a really solid outline to me.

For eats the North End is good place to go if you like Italian. For specific restaurants there do a quick search of this site. Choices there are talked about often.

I'm drawing a blank on comedy places. Seems I used to hear a lot about comedy in Boston but don't anymore. Nick's is one I remember being good but I don't even know if it's still there. Try googling Nick's Comedy Stop.

Can't help you on the Hancock tower question.

Mentioned in this post
Hancock
Hancock
Berkshires, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Since 9/11 the observation area at the top of the John Hancock Tower has been closed to the public. However, the Skywalk Observatory at the top of the Prudential Tower (in the Prudential Center, full of shops and restaurants) is open. Here is a link to their information - beautiful views of the city from there.

prudentialcenter.com/shop/shop_detail.php…

Mentioned in this post
John Hancock Tower
John Hancock Tower
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
Skywalk Observatory
Skywalk Observatory
1,056 Reviews
Boston, MA
Prudential Center
Prudential Center
1,415 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Aslo, there are comedy shows at the Wilbur Theater in town - here is one scheduled for October 12th-

thewilburtheatre.com/artist/…

Scranton...
Level Contributor
75 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

For Comedy club, my boyfriend and I had a great time at Dicks Beantown Comedy a Vault. We checked out amature night, think it was $10 a person, definitely worth it!

As for a the Irish a Heritage Trail, irishheritagetrail.com. The trail just seems to be mostly statues scattered around the city with the finale being Fenway Park because it was built by an Irish Immigrant.

We're pretty big on our Irish heritages, but we didn't go out of our way to see any of it unless it happened to be on the freedom trail. And Fenway Park is a must do, even if you're not interested in baseball whatsoever!

Edited: 8:45 pm, September 28, 2013
NJ
Level Contributor
918 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

As a lifelong diehard Yankee fan, I'm a bit afraid that lightening may strike me if I set foot in Fenway. lol

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

"As a lifelong diehard Yankee fan, I'm a bit afraid that lightening may strike me if I set foot in Fenway. lol"

Well if that's the case they wouldn't let you on the tour anyway :)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

I would take your photo at Cheers' but skip the beer. Walk thru the Boston Common, The Boston Public Garden then walk up Newbury Street or Commonwealth Avenue Mall to The Prudential Center. (The Pru) Go to The Top of the Hub for dinner and/or drinks. I prefer their lounge because of the menu and their live entertainment. Their clam chowder is yummy but the view is spectacular. This can take the place of the John Hancock Tower. Another alternative, after your pictures at Cheers', walk around Boston Common & Boston Public Garden eat on Newbury Street or walk down Charles Street and eat or just have drinks at the Liberty Hotel. It used to be a old jail and it is pretty unique.

The USS Constitution is part of The Freedom Trail but doing it on a separated day is ideal because of the wait time. Do go visit the Constitution Museuem, the Bunker Hill Museum and Climb the Bunker Hill Monument on the same day as visiting Old Ironsides. Take the inner harbor ferry to - or from Charlestown. It puts you on the water to enjoy the great harbor views and it is inexpensive.

Another thing you are missing is eating or getting dessert at the North End is a must if you want that Boston "feel".

Enjoy!

Edited: 7:30 am, September 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Commonwealth Avenue Mall
Commonwealth Avenue Mall
56 Reviews
Boston, MA
Prudential Center
Prudential Center
1,415 Reviews
Boston, MA
John Hancock Tower
John Hancock Tower
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
Charles Street
Charles Street
90 Reviews
Boston, MA
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,292 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bunker Hill Monument
Bunker Hill Monument
1,294 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: outline of itinerary for Boston "feel"

Not sure how old you are (and you don't have to answer that), but the Black Rose on a Friday night is mostly 20 somethings. If that's you, you'll fit right in. If not, I like the suggestion of The Kinsale.

Mentioned in this post
The Kinsale
The Kinsale
125 Reviews
Boston, MA