We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-where to stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
12 posts
Save Topic
Boston-where to stay?

We are planning a trip to Boston in October. Hotel rates are high in the city. Any suggestions as where to stay at a less expensive hotel? What is a good area? We plan on doing our sightseeing in Boston. Also what are your suggestions as to the sights to see?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston-where to stay?

What are your exact dates of travel? Nightly budget? Do you need one bed or two?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston-where to stay?

need more information - what do you consider 'less expensive'? October is Fall season so it will be more expensive. In terms of location, Boston is so compact that an downtown location will be fine. Personal choice for me is to be in the Long Wharf/Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area - perfect for sight seeing, directly on the Freedom Trail and within minutes of the North End, Waterfront, Boston Common etc

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,453 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston-where to stay?

If possible avoid the weekend of the oct 19 - 20. That is when a huge rowing event valued Head of the Charles Regatta takes place. It bring LOTS of people to town, which drives up prices.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,453 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston-where to stay?

called HOCR --- not valued, like autocorrect typed --- ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston-where to stay?

If you want to stay outside of the city and commute in (which I don't really recommend) check out the towns of Quincy and Braintree. It'll be cheaper there but then you also need to factor in the cost of the T getting in and out of Boston every day.

Cleveland
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston-where to stay?

We were planning on arriving on 10/19 but may now change our plans. I am trying to stay under $200 for a hotel as we are thinking of staying 5 nights. Also, thanks all for your advice.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston-where to stay?

I am not going to boston till next year but I found some beautiful not exspensive bed and breakfast places right in the heart of the city. Around $120 to $130 a night taxes included. Just google the bed and breakfasts in Boston on trip advisor and you will see many nice places. Good Luck!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston-where to stay?

This is an excellent website guide for locating and comparing hotels:

hotelguides.com/massachusetts/map-boston-ma-…

Once section is labeled "Downtown" but you do not have to stay there to be in easy access of the major attractions. Since Boston is relatively small and easily walkable you could stay in many areas and still be in easy reach of major sites.

Edited: 11:57 am, August 25, 2013
Cleveland
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston-where to stay?

I checked into a few of the BB's and they were all over $250. Which ones were you looking at? It could be the time of year we are going? Thanks!!

Cleveland
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston-where to stay?

Oh and another thing - I have been doing a lot of research today on hotels. I was ready to pay a little extra but then saw that parking was $40 a day. I forgot to mention we are driving.