We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendations for college visits

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
hotel recommendations for college visits

Hello,

We will be visiting colleges in a couple of weeks, BU, Northeastern and Emerson and am trying to find a hotel to stay overnight. I am not looking to stay in Boston center itself as the hotel parking rates are very high.

However, I am looking to stay close enough to get to our first appointment at Northeastern at 9;00 .

I have looked at Revere, Quincy, Dedham but I am not sure if these are way too far and if there is heavy traffic getting in during the week to the city. Google maps estimates around 20 minutes but not sure if this is realistic.

Would love to hear some reocmmendations.

Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

20 min. from those places to Northeastern getting there at 9, presumably on a weekday is not realistic at all.

How much can you spend? If you can afford a Boston hotel but just not the parking you'd be better off staying in Boston and leaving your car outside the city. All of those three schools would be very easy to get to if you were staying in Boston. The'd all suck to get to driving from outside of Boston.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

If you are looking into Dedham you may want to consider the Hilton on Allied Drive. There is a commuter rail station that is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and on Saturday there is a train at 7:10, get's you into Ruggles Station, right at NU, around 7:30, plenty of time to get you there in time for your tour at 9. After that you can take the green line subway to Emerson and BU. This will save you from having to drive into the city and then have to find parking at all 3 of your stops. I'm assuming the tours are on Saturday. If during the week better train schedule.

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=FRANKLIN&direction=I&timing=S&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

Edited: 3:58 pm, July 19, 2013
Boston
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

You could look into the Courtyard Marriott and the Holiday Inn in Brookline. These are Green Line accessible. They probably charge something for parking, but I doubt the $40 that most downtown hotels pay.

20 minutes during rush hour during the week from any of those places is not realistic.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

Try the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites in Cambridge. Free parking and walking distance the Lechmere T stop, from which you can get to all the schools.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

You're not doing all 3 schools in one day right?

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

Thank you for the replies. I thought 20 minutes might not be realistic but I was hopeful. We are not doing the three schools in one day but they are during the week over two days I will take a look at the MBTA site. Thank you for the link.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

You might want to try the Brookline Holiday Inn. They do charge for parking but it's reasonable. You probably don't want Quincy/Dedham because that's not really close by any of those schools.

The Midtown Hotel is walking distance to Emerson and Northeastern, and they only charge $22/night for parking, which isn't bad at all. It says to mention Northeastern University when you call...maybe you can get a special rate?

Another option is the Inn at Longwood. It's very close to Northeastern and BU as well. They charge $20/night for parking.

http://www.innatlongwood.com/

http://www.midtownhotel.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

Try to stay near the hotels so you will not be stressed out before your college tours. With what you'll be spending for college tuition, go the distance and spring for parking.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

You could drive from the Best Western Quincy Adams Inn to Northeastern in 20 minutes WITHOUT traffic, but on a weekday morning I'd say no way. If you allow more time it's not that bad a drive, though. It's only a few exits away if you take the Mass Ave./Roxbury exit. Shoot up Mass. Ave. maybe a mile or two and Northeastern will be a lefthand turn, depending which building you're going to. And it's just a little bit further from there to BU and Emerson. If you go outside of rush hour that drive's a breeze.

They have a shuttle to the Red Line (and it's walkable too), which can take you reasonably quickly downtown if you'd prefer the T. I think they might have free parking too. Make sure you're okay with the reviews, though.

That said, I would vote for staying in downtown Boston if you could afford it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel recommendations for college visits

Quincy Marriott's further away, but it's Red Line accessible too.